What a week.... RIP Rudy von, Jim Bentley, and Mike Shipley

• Members

Its been a tough week... We lost three audio inspirations this past week....

First our very own Rudy von... I was one of those people that always found Angelo to be a rather amusing HC member. I had absolutely no idea what the heck he was talking about most of the time but I found him entertaining. In the last year, I was fortunate to work with him a bit as well. He asked me to record some vocals for a tune he wrote with another member here on HC. And just last month we were discussing via email Marks tunes and my production work on one of them. I did not know Rudy von personally but I could tell from his emails he was an interesting person and sincere lover of music. Working with HC members on their projects is always a joy to me and lossing Rudy von hit me in the gut. 

My Brooklyn community also lost Jim Bentley, owner of The Fort in Bushwick. I did not know Jim but I knew of his place and was considering working there several years ago to track some tunes. Brooklyn is a densely populated borough and as diverse as it gets. Within its 10 mile radius, you will find cultures from all around the world all melting into this unique place I was born and call home. From what I have heard from others, Jim had a passion for audio and assisting artists/bands in realizing their audio vision. We share that in common and I feel his loss.

Lastly, we lost a true giant in the audio world when Mike Shipley passed. If you don`t know Mike Shipley then shame on you! The first rock record I ever owned was Pyromania. That record awoke in me something at the age of 8-9 that I still cannot describe. Something primal and something pure. Something that has inspired me to live, breath, eat music. Its funny because I got to know Mike a bit over at GS the last few years when I complimented his mixing but also expressed my displeasure in how his work was mastered. Mike initially misunderstood my posts but he eventually came around. We had a unique relationship... as much as my posts irked him, he would mention me at times in his posts.... as silly as it sounds, I was honored someone of his magnitude knew me on a first name basis. I think in the end, Mike and I share the same passion for making the best music we possibly can and even though my success is not even a clitch on his radar compared to his astronomical success, I do in part thank and credit him for inspiring me.

Its been a rough week but I carry within me that passion to make the best music possible with the time and talent I have. I hope anyone who reads this realizes that music is a gift to be shared because in the end, music is about creating and creating is a labor of love. Literally...

• Members

Yeah, Angelo (Rudy) and I had several things going. He skyped me an early version of one of my instrumentals on June 29, just four days before he died, apparently.

Sorry, I don't know about Mike Shipley or Jim Bently.I'm a cranky old dude, cranking out cranky old tunes.

Maybe I'll try Ernest Buckley next. He did fabulous work on one of Angelo's & my projects. 

Archived