George Baker

• Members

Its interesting because he mentions the demo being recorded on a 4 track. Something about limitations that make us work harder... 

Just yesterday I was finishing up some tracking for a tune that is going on my next record called "Losing You". I originally recorded the demo back in 2005-6 and it was one of those things I did in an hour or so just throwing down as many ideas as possible. I was even using a loop from a keyboard I no longer own and when I recorded it, the loop fell out of sync with the drum pattern I had recorded in the DAW... anyway, there was always something about that demo that I loved even though it was a rhythmic mess.

Yesterday while I was finishing up the bkg vocals, I was frustrated that the vocals were not achieving the same emotion as the demo... I even made note on my song chart here in the studio  to add "more" bkg vocals... thinking more is better.

Well, when I listened back to the demo yesterday, I realized there was one background vocal and all it did was echo the lead vocal except it was offset by a measure. Less is more sometimes. 

Archived