I just washed and dried a 8GB SD memory card

MrKnobs

• Moderators

I knew this would happen sooner or later, as I have a bad habit of putting them in my shirt pocket as I walk around the yard changing critter cam chips.  Inevitably, I forgot to take one out and washed the shirt AND put in a gas dryer set on max.   facepalm.gif

It seems to work OK, though.  I formatted it, did a disk check on it, all seems well.  Hard to believe!

Anyone else done that?   What were your results?

Terry D.

• Members

I've washed and dried phone mic/earbuds. It took them a few days or a week to finally get back to normal. 

I also dropped my LG Android into a small (and clean, thank heaven!) domestic body of water for maybe 2 to 4 seconds. (I had 'buds in my ears, long cord, the phone sitting on top of an over-toilet cabinet, wasn't paying attention, walked away, pulling phone off cabinet...) 

It took 'til the next day to dry out enough to turn on. It worked but it was hinky so I powered it back down and waited another day. It worked well since, although I switched carriers and had to buy my own to work on my new network. Happily, they had a carrier-specific model of my old phone, refurbed, for $63. That took the pain out of buying my own. I mean... the model is toilet tested!

(The refurbed phone didn't come with a MicroSD, so I popped 17 or 18 bucks for a 32 GB one from an Amazon vender. So a 32 GB phone for 80 bucks or so, free and clear.)

• CMS Author

When I was in high school and Tektronix had a local service office, one of my friends had a summber job bathing oscilloscopes that came in for service. The Tektronix office was in a house, and he'd wash the 'scopes in the bathtub and dry them with compressed air and a hair dryer before they went on to the bench for repair or calibration. Of course in those days they were all tubes and wires, nothing that would really get damaged by water.

It was equipment from the 1980s that was probably most susceptible to water damage. Back then they used mostly phenolic PC boards that absorbed water and they weren't making very good hermetically sealed semiconductors back then.

• Members

I have heard that you can leave a wet SD memory card or a wet iPhone in a bag of rice overnight. The rice will suck out all the moisture. Luckily I have never had to test this so it could be an old wives' tale.

• Moderators

MikeRivers wrote:

When I was in high school and Tektronix had a local service office, one of my friends had a summber job bathing oscilloscopes that came in for service. The Tektronix office was in a house, and he'd wash the 'scopes in the bathtub and dry them with compressed air and a hair dryer before they went on to the bench for repair or calibration. Of course in those days they were all tubes and wires, nothing that would really get damaged by water.

It was equipment from the 1980s that was probably most susceptible to water damage. Back then they used mostly phenolic PC boards that absorbed water and they weren't making very good hermetically sealed semiconductors back then.

That is stuff I didn't know at all! Cool post!

• 4 weeks later...

Archived