How to cover an old 60's record...

• Members

Here is a 2013 remake of the old 1961 Everlys tune by The Chapin Sisters.

This production pleases me much,   as it is so faithful to the style of early-60's American pop records,   but with nice modern touches,   like the densely layered,  Ellie Greenwich-style vox harmonies...   and those big,  fat,  wide-stereo handclaps!     I hate it when modern young artists are too lazy or too hip to sing the correct melody as it was written,  or play the correct original harmonies.    This one avoids that trap nicely...       (And when was the last time you heard a "cold" ending?)

Enjoy!

• Members

Wow... they probably have  looser harmonies than any sibling act I listen to. Where they sort of flutter down into harmony in the beginning is particularly, uh, impromptu sounding. At least they clearly don't tune or robo-harmonize. It's not, like, unpleasant, or anything, but it does have a surprising lack of precision. Admitted, listening to the Boswells and a number of great country sibling acts has raised the bar pretty high in my mind... I put on the Everly's version afterwards. Yeah. Bigtime. Big diff. I'll say this, though, the Chapins are definitely not as nasal as the Ev's. However one slices that.  grin 

This is... interesting.

Keep in mind my own vocals drive me to distraction and despair. So, perspective. But this just isn't the kind of tight harmony I've come to expect from sibling acts.

• Moderators

I think they sound great. It was a cool take on the tune. Kinda lazy in that big bass drum feel and vocal phrasing but in a good way to me. definitely sisters. I have no requirement that siblings lock tight cause their genes say they can and must. And I dig the Austiny lez pomps. They're cute.

• Members

Ernest Buckley wrote:

I actually like when covers change the melody a bit. And unlike some, I didn`t have any issues with the nasal quality of the vocals... I actually thought it was good. Thanks for sharing mate.

Just a quick note... though I commented on the nasal aspects (I have a different kind of nasal thing and, unfortunately, it's not one I can turn on and off so easily  wink.gif ) I actually like that aspect of the Everly's and have since about the third or fourth time I heard the tune. And that aspect didn't bother me in the Chapin's version -- but it did strike me on first hearing it and that was actually what made me go to the source to compare that aspect.

PS... and just to make clear, the main thing that bugged me on everyone's hair was not the styles so much as that the styles were poorly suited to the recipient's facial structures. It totally bugs me when someone glues the wrong hair style on someone. It's like obvious tuning-for-correction. It's a professional lapse.

• Members

rasputin1963 wrote:

rasputin1963 wrote:

(And when was the last time you heard a "cold" ending?)

On THIS song you mean?   I dunno.  The EB version faded, right?  

But one thing I have noticed is that virtually no pop records fade out anymore.  EVERYTHING is a cold ending on Top 40 radio it seems.   When did the fade-out go out of fashion?

• CMS Author

guido61 wrote:

But one thing I have noticed is that virtually no pop records fade out anymore.  EVERYTHING is a cold ending on Top 40 radio it seems.   When did the fade-out go out of fashion?

Gets the song over quicker to make room for more commercials. Or as Stan Freberg said when asked if High School Oooo Oooo was kind of a short song:  "Yeah, gets more plays that way." 

• Members

guido61 wrote:

I don't think it ever came back after the late 70s. 

Archived