Echo Mona 24/96 Digital Studio Replacement Potentiometers

Jeff53

• Members

Can anyone help me locate new input control pots for my Echo Mona 24/96 Digital Studio?  I contaced Echo Digital Audio and all they could do was send an email stating the control pots were not available.  I found some info on the net stating they were 1.5 K Reverse Taper pots.  Also, a schematic diagram would be helpful.

• CMS Author

Welcome to the world of instant obsolescence. At least this is a component that you can see, feel, measure, and probably replace with something else that you'll need to do a little work on in order to get it to fit.

But are you sure it's the pot that's the problem? If there are dead spots, then it probably needs to be replaced. Is it noisy? It could be that a capacitor is leaky and is putting DC on the pot. That's where you either need the schematic or need to know enough to work your way back through the circuit to figure out where the problem really lies.

Manufacturers don't usually offer schematics for devices like this because it costs them money, most people won't know what to do with them, and competetors might be able to learn something from them.

Happy troubleshooting.

• Members

Here's one approach:

If the pot 'crackles' when turned, or works intermittently:

Get some contact cleaner (Radio Shack stuff will work, but there are better brands).  Line the surrounding area with a paper towel piece to soak up any leakage,   Spray the cleaner into the pot through whatever opening(s) you can find.  Immediately turn the pot up and down through its full range about 200 times.

If this doesn't help, or the pot is dead:

Disconnect the old pot from the circuit.  This might involve removing it.  (If you don't have electronics experience, this will be a good time to find help from somebody who does.)

Measure the resistance between the two outside terminals.  Typical value: 100K  (100000 Ohms)

Measure the resistance between one outside and the center terminal, turning the pot in equal increments (like 10 degrees) and note whether the reading changes in equal increments or not.  If the resistance increments are of equal size, you need a linear pot.  Otherwise you need a log pot.

Now shop for a new pot.  These places have huge parts selections, so you will have a better chance of finding one:  mouser, newark, allied

If they really are reverse taper 1.5K pots, you'll probably have little luck finding exact replacements.  You might try getting 1.5K audio taper pots, and crosswire the 2 outside terminals when you install them.

Here is what I found at Mouser with reverse audio tapers, below 10K-Ohms:

http://www.mouser.com/Passive-Components/PotentiometersTrimmers-Rheostats/_/N-9q0yi?P=1yzmq8cZ1yzmq85Z1yzekimZ1yzmno7Z1yzsulm

Another possible option is to scour Ebay for the same unit (but broken) and buy it for parts.

If changing out the pot doesn't help, you probably need more sophisticated troubleshooting (as Mike suggested in his post) than is practical to explain here.   Good luck!  

• 1 month later...
  • CMS Author

Well, the manual says:

A cable was supplied with your Mona for this purpose. This custom made

cable is manufactured to certain specifications and, if necessary, should only

be replaced by a special Mona cable available only from Echo.

I'll bet if you contact Echo Support they'd give you the pinout or find a cable to sell to you. Or look in the drawer where you keep all your old guitar cables. I'll bet it's in there, or maybe in a kitchen cabinet behind a jar of Nutella.

• Members

conen wrote:

Hi

I have
lost
the connection cable
of my
Mona
24/96
someone
can give me
the wiring diagram
of the
D-9
cable
?

For example
: pin 1
to
pin 1
pin 2
to pin
, etc.

Thanks

I probably should not be answering this, as I have recently passed away, but... anyway... the pins are wired one-to-one.  That is, 1-to-1, 2-to-2, and so on through 9-to-9 and the metal frame is ground.  However I don't know how the cable is shielded.  Often with this type of cable each wire has its own shield rather than one shield around the whole bunch.  This helps prevent interference between channels.  The stock cable is 15 ft.  If you keep it as short as possible (without stressing the cable with sharp bends) it will help cut down on outside interference and provide a cleaner signal.  So if you don't need 15 feet, make it 10 feet, or whatever you need.  I use two of the Layla 24/96 and the cable is the same part number as for the Mona... so that's how I know.

Archived