First song recorded on PreSonus Studio One (Free)

Mark L

• CMS Author

Nice job. Doesn't sound like the DAW hurt your musical talent any. Good arrangement, good guitar sounds, and good singing.

However, that drum smack isn't exactly my favorite kick sound. Maybe it's part of your sound, but can we have it a little quieter, please?

Also, I heard hardly any bass on the Minimus 7 speakers that I have on my "on line" computer (commercial music that I hear on those speakers doesn't have that problem). I listend to it in the studio and found the bass there, but it's pretty low and rumbly, and I needed to boost the bottom end in order to make out what you were playing. I think this is about what people say "the bass needs more definition."  You need to assume that most people will, at least initially, be hearing your music on speakers that don't have a lot of bottom end unless it's a one-note subwoofer under the desk. My Sony 7506 headphones clamped to my head got me to hear the bass as you probably wanted it, but with them, the kick about tore my head off. It was better balanced with my Fostex T20 phones.

But this is all mix stuff. You can tweak it to my liking, or you can leave it to your liking. But I didn't see any evidence that working in Studio One was causing you grief once you got over the hump. Keep up the good work..

• Members

MikeRivers wrote:

Nice job. Doesn't sound like the DAW hurt your musical talent any. Good arrangement, good guitar sounds, and good singing.

However, that drum smack isn't exactly my favorite kick sound. Maybe it's part of your sound, but can we have it a little quieter, please?

Also, I heard hardly any bass on the Minimus 7 speakers that I have on my "on line" computer (commercial music that I hear on those speakers doesn't have that problem). I listend to it in the studio and found the bass there, but it's pretty low and rumbly, and I needed to boost the bottom end in order to make out what you were playing. I think this is about what people say "the bass needs more definition."  You need to assume that most people will, at least initially, be hearing your music on speakers that don't have a lot of bottom end unless it's a one-note subwoofer under the desk. My Sony 7506 headphones clamped to my head got me to hear the bass as you probably wanted it, but with them, the kick about tore my head off. It was better balanced with my Fostex T20 phones.

But this is all mix stuff. You can tweak it to my liking, or you can leave it to your liking. But I didn't see any evidence that working in Studio One was causing you grief once you got over the hump. Keep up the good work..

Thanks, Mike :)

That's weird. There's plenty of bass through my headphones, and the kick-drum doesn't sound too aggressive. Maybe my ears have been ruined by years of mixing with 'phones ;)

• Members

Hey, cool, Mark, sounds good.  I am listening on Bose computer speakers, and in the first mix, there is plenty of bass, although I would have mixed the kick down just a very little bit....well, maybe not, it's really not that loud.  If you want the bass to poke through a bit, which is entirely up to you and more subjective, you might want to try kicking up the mids a bit, which often works pretty well for me.  Gives a little definition and the bass is present without being boomy or skewing the mix toward being too bottom-heavy.

• Members

UstadKhanAli wrote:

Hey, cool, Mark, sounds good.  I am listening on Bose computer speakers, and in the first mix, there is plenty of bass, although I would have mixed the kick down just a very little bit....well, maybe not, it's really not that loud.  If you want the bass to poke through a bit, which is entirely up to you and more subjective, you might want to try kicking up the mids a bit, which often works pretty well for me.  Gives a little definition and the bass is present without being boomy or skewing the mix toward being too bottom-heavy.

Actually, Ken, the mix in the first post is now the same as my new mix. Since the name of the song is the same, Soundcloud just substituted my sub-standard mix for the new once. Probably just as well you didn't hear the original mix...

Archived