Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Write Failed While Recording

Does anyone know what could be causing occasional write failures on my Tascam DR-07 handheld recorder?

The manual just says that if you get the "Writing Failed" message, to turn it off and start over .png" alt=":smileysad:" title="Smiley Sad" />

My Web Site - Tunes - Pictures - Guitar Projects - Native American Style Flute Projects - Hard Rock Cafe Guitar Pins
    My Eclectic YouTube Channel

That's usually a result of a marginal flash memory card. It might also be from a low battery, particularly if you're using rechargeable cells, which have a lower starting terminal voltage than alkalines.

You might try re-formatting the memory card (after you've retrieved whatever you can, and care about, from it) and see if it complains. Try it with a near-dead battery if you want to take the time to experiment.

--
    "Today's production equipment is IT-based and cannot be operated without a passing knowledge of computing, although it seems that it can be operated without a passing knowledge of audio." - John Watkinson, Resolution Magazine, October 2006
    Drop by http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com now and then

Comment

• Jeff Leites
      Jeff Leites commented
      Editing a comment

I think I did reformat the memory card after the last time I used it.  I don't use it very often, and my memory (not the card) has become marginal too .png" alt=":smileysad:" title="Smiley Sad" />

Maybe a lower capacity card would work better.  I don't really need the 16GB I'm currently using.

It's not a good idea to defrag a memory card.   Flash memory has a limited number of writes to each register (1 million these days, but it used to be 100K). 

If you start recording with a blank card, and erase it again before use, there's no reason it would ever become fragmented.

Comment

• Jeff Leites
      Jeff Leites commented
      Editing a comment

I would think that any card that can handle even SD video would be able to handle audio.

If the card works for 1,000,000 cycles, I should be able to fill it and reformat it for several lifetimes.

Working...
X