Tools & techniques for making audio mashups?

JeffLearman

• Members

A friend wanted to know what tool she could use to make audio mash-ups, where different elements of different songs are mixed into frankentunes?  Example, though I know y'all know what I'm talking about:

My friend isn't a musician or audio engineer.  Someone said they could use Audacity, but I pointed out that while you could use Audacity, you'd also need a number of other tools.  Anyway, what kinds of techniques are really used?  I know we can lift center channel out, but that lifts far more than just vocals.  Do folks carefully frequency scoop out the desired parts?  Are some parts replayed by musicians (many cases, that sounds easier than lifting the originals)?  Or do folks have access to seps somehow?

Or are there magic tools these days that allow us to lift the guitar track from a song?  (I'm highly skeptical!)

My friend is particularly talented with 3D graphic tools (makes apparel for a 3D game, very successful in that arena), so while she's got the right stuff to be capable of doing something like this, my guess is that it would be like starting out in 3D graphics, a long row to hoe.

Thanks!

• CMS Author

Like everything else in this business, it ain't the tools, it's the talent. I didn't know what a mashup was until I heard that, but geez, there's some real editing talent there, as well was musical knowledge to find the pieces and find places for them.

Once your friend had the sources and a plan, any DAW in competent hands could put them together. Take a hint from Mark and try Studio Live Free. It took him only two weeks using it to become a PreSonus Featured Artist. The program got him in their door. The talent that got him there took a little longer.  ;)

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

The cat that's turning me on the most in this department is my friend Johnny Perrone on WOMR radio,  Provincetown,  MA.

Somehow---   and i don't know how he does it---    he is able to do mashups of old 1960's classics,   in which he very cleanly extracts/isolates the individual voices/tracks from the original record.   with very little nasty artifacts remaining after extraction!

I've tried this technique myself,  but haven't managed to get extractions NEARLY as clean as Perrone's.

He has a whole channel on YouTube of his remix/mashups...   Highly recommended,  as they're quite tastefully done.

On YouTube,  Perrone calls himself "mosogotam".

http://www.youtube.com/user/mosogotam

Here's just one example:    

• Members

rasputin1963 wrote:

The cat that's turning me on the most in this department is my friend
Johnny Perrone on WOMR radio
,  Provincetown,  MA.

Somehow---   and i don't know how he does it---    he is able to do mashups of old 1960's classics,   in which
he very cleanly extracts/isolates the individual voices/tracks from the original record.   with very little nasty artifacts remaining after extraction!

You might want to read the comments on the videos more closely - he has access to the original tracks somehow. And those are extended versions, not mashups? Still very cool cool.gif .

Archived