Hits of the 2010s

Geoff Grace

• Members

As most of us in this forum are Baby Boomers and Gen-Xers, we rarely talk about recent hits. Here's a thread designed for us to share releases of this decade with each other. I'll post five I like to get us started; and true to my age group, they're all nostalgic to one degree or another (but

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

So I'm at the gym and the video for this comes on and dang, this kid has some pipes.  I LIKE this.  

Too bad I looked him up and listened a bunch of other tracks.  The kid needs someone to write better songs for him...sorely needs it.  Oh well.

But I still like this one.  And I'd love to be able to sing like this...like Little Richard said when he heard Nilsson, "sings pretty good for a white boy!"

nat whilk ii

• Members

nat whilk II wrote:

So I'm at the gym and the video for this comes on and dang, this kid has some pipes.  I
this.  

Too bad I looked him up and listened a bunch of other tracks.  The kid needs someone to write better songs for him...sorely needs it.  Oh well.

But I still like this one.  And I'd love to be able to sing like this...like Little Richard said when he heard Nilsson, "sings pretty good for a white boy!"

nat whilk ii

I'm one of the three people (or so) who bought Townes Van Zandt's first album when it came out (I say it that way because I bought it for 19 cents in the cutout bin for the cutout bins -- and it was many years before I heard his name again (first mention being the record in my hands a the time), except for my closest pals who, after I bought the cutout,  derided me mercilessly for being enthusiastic about a couple of tracks (they are, of course, now all TVZ fans)...

Anyhow, I never really climbed back on the TVZ horse while he was alive, but my admiration for Guy Clark drew me back to his  late pal, who of course, was by then an icon of what I guess we now call Americana. And, while I did end up appreciating his later work, I was really kind of interested and going back and listening to that first record. (It was stolen along with 300 of my most recently played disks, back in '75.)

And, you know what, my pals were kind of right. There are moments on the first record, but, in general, he's pretty deep in Dylan-wannabe territory, he really has not found himself yet, it's a pretty mediocre record in many ways, although it got a nice production and a 'hip' packaging job (which no doubt set up the wrong expectations).

Anyhow, I go on about that because, you know, sometimes an artist grows way beyond a first record...

PS... This (Gavin DeGraw tune above)  doesn't really do a huge lot for me -- except that I deeply appreciated that they at least sneak up on the big, mainstreamy chorus, incrementing the sugar a little more with each chorus, rather the current standard issue of hitting it with a modern pop cliche go-big right after the first verse. I'm so sick of hearing a somewhat promising intro verse from some new pop/rock song, something that diverges at least a little from the current conventions, but then seemingly has to rush back to commercial safety at the chorus.

PPS... He does have a nice vocal instrument, though. Not my style, but he does it well.

• 8 months later...
  • Members

I do have a soft spot for Aloe Blac's "I Need a Dollar." I think that's pretty irresistible.

I also think Lorde's "Royals" is pretty good for contemporary pop -- but I far prefer the giant, sad clown version.

Those are the only hits I know I like, though I've heard a lot of hits. But it's been a while since I sat down with the BB top pop 20 and skipped through. I actually found something liked at number three a while back that I could stand to listen to last time I did that. I didn't fave it in my stream service or anything, but it didn't annoy me nearly as much as most of the other stuff, a red letter day for me and the top of the pops in any era since the 60s.

(Yes, I'm one of those who had not much use for most big 70s hits. Far less so for 80s hits, by and large. After the middle of that decade, when I stopped listening to commercial radio, my antagonism toward pop drivel subsided considerably. While I was forcing myself to listen to it -- I was, after all, heavily involved with producing and engineering and it was what you were 'supposed' to do -- that was the worst. It really soured me to the industry and the music. Real crap. Honestly, I haven't been the same since. The time during which I tried to play the industry game by industry rules burned a lot of bridges in my head.)

• Members
Wow! What happened to this thread? A lot of posts and YouTube videos are missing!

My first post is obviously clipped, and all of the video links I made are gone.

Best,

Geoff

I was trying to figure out the continuity here, myself. It's possible that there were a number of 'replies' to a post that was deleted. I believe that deletes any replies as well.

But now I don't even see the 'reply button anymore.' (As opposed to the 'quote' button; separate things.)

They may have removed it -- I think it was just causing confusion -- and the fact that the replies appeared out of sequence (depending on the reader's settings for the BB) but would also appear in chrono order was pretty confusing.

But, frankly, if they did, I missed it. They've been having some issues getting things sorted due to changes in the vBulletin BBS software.

Anyhow, it wasn't me who deleted anything.

biggrin.gif

• Members

Many of these don't have huge hits. I'll post this in case anyone is interested in checking these out or whatever.

Sigur Ros

Godspeed, You Black Emperor

Tinarawen

My Morning Jacket

Kings of Leon - first two albums "Youth and Young Manhood" and "Aha Shake Heartbreak"

North Mississippi Allstars

Spirit Vine "Golden"

Daniel Lanois

Orishas "A Lo Cubano"

Julieta Venegas

Brightblack Morning Light

Gram Rabbit (I like their first album mostly)

Everybody (L.A.-based funk band that probably doesn't have any recorded output)

I See Hawks In LA (I love their first album)

Fleet Foxes "Fleet Foxes" (2008 on Sub Pop)

The Entrance Band "Face The Sun" (psych)

Wooden Shjips "Wooden Shjips" (2007 on Holy Mountain)

MIA

Spoek Mathambo "Mshini Wam"

Radiohead

John5 - "Requiem"

System of a Down "Mezmerize" and "Hypnotize"

Kokono No1 (Congo)

Las Alegres Ambulancias de Palenque

Flying Lotus "Cosmogramma"

Beck

Daniel Martin Moor "Stray Age" (Sub Pop)

Grouper (solo project by Liz Harris of Oregon)

Michael Kiwanuka

lowercase noises

Black Country Communion (Glenn Hughes, Jason Bonham, Joe Banamassa)

Archived