Well, the band has ground to a halt. However.....

Mark L

• Members

....the guitarist and I are looking at forming an acoustic duo which plays close-harmony versions of Beatles songs

We're both Beatles fanatics, so that's a good start. And the guitarist is awesome - there's no other word for it. At the two rehearsals the band did, I was open-mouthed at his ability. I have a good feeling about this :)

• Moderators

MarkydeSad wrote:

....the guitarist and I are looking at forming an acoustic duo which plays close-harmony versions of Beatles songs

We're both Beatles fanatics, so that's a good start. And the guitarist is awesome - there's no other word for it. At the two rehearsals the band did, I was open-mouthed at his ability. I have a good feeling about this
:)

That's the spirit, just keep moving no matter what changes happen.  thumb.gif

While you're at it, take your duo to Second Life (www.secondlife.com) and make some money playing shows for a global audience.  Make sure you have MP3s for sale when you do that.  SL is free and the pay for an hour show is comparable to doing the duo thing in a pub.  You already have the hardware you need to stream up live audio, and the software is free (WinAmp + ShoutCast) or if you like it even simpler use the tiny app BUTT (broadcast using this tool).

This is part of my general approach to making money from music which can be summarized as:

(1) Never stop writing or playing in public, except briefly as needed to reorganize,

(2) Try anything and everything that might advance your career or bring in needed funds,

(3) Stop doing things that don't work and try new things while focusing on things that do work,

(4) Work relentlessly to widen and multiply your fan base by all means available (social networks, local gigs, benefits, internet presence, Second Life),

(5) Network with other musicians who might help you,

(6) Embrace letting yourself change and develop as an artist (do what moves you and find others who appreciate it),

(7) Always make it incredibly easy and fast for your fans to buy stuff from you,

(8) Don't listen to people who tell you "You can't" because what they mean is "I can't."

Good luck on your continuing adventure.  About time you launched, mister! thumb.gif

Terry D.

• Members

My first and only band started by accident. Prior to having a band, I did the usual thing, met up with guitarists, other writers, bassists, etc... even sat in on another band once who needed a keyboard player thinking I could turn them into my own band... This went on a few years... then one day my good friend Tony who I had no idea wanted to be in a band with me says, "Hey Big Ern, lets form a band! My sisters BF plays guitar, all we need is a drummer." A few days later we`re on campus, me with my guitar and him with his acoustic bass and a friend drummer walks over to us and we start telling him about our band... he says he would like to join us and so it began.... 4 years of gigs, too many late night rehearsals, lots of writing and recording, and eventually a slow and silent death. 

My only advice with starting a band is to have a band objective.... a written Mission Statement that you guys can easily see when you`re working together. This will keep you all focused on the goal and if someone does not fit the plan... out they go. Treat it like a business because thats what it is if you`re going to make a living doing it. 

• Moderators

This is getting a bit creepy. Just relax and enjoy the thing you love. Stop working so hard for attention here and take that effort and direct it toward trying to gain on online audience. Keep writing. Get better at it.

So you don't like playing live. OK. I don't like relish on my hotdogs. Who cares? Just get on with it. It doesn't have to be as unenjoyable as you're making it.

Archived