EQ w/spectrum analyzer?

Lee Knight

• Moderators

I seem to recall an EQ that had an integrated spectrum analyzer.

So, you slap an instance on your bass guitar and one on your kick, find the fundamental of your kick via the analyzer and neaten up the surrounding area and accentuate the fundamental or the harmonics of the fundamental, then move to the bass guitar and track the moving fundamental of that part. Then try to accentuate or cut to have the two work together nicely. Etc.Where's that harshness on that Tele? What's the woof? B3 or Piano? Is that boxy from the kick or the Les Paul?

Yes, I do all this in other ways (ears mostly and eyes) but I know I'd love the potential of an integrated plugin.

Who makes an EQ w/spectrum analyzer? RTAS / AAX

• Members

Looks like there are more than a few as I googled around.

My own favorite EQ, Timeworks EQ (a semi-'lite' version that came with Sonar 'Pro' 2, back in 2002, as I recall), is a 64 bit internal processing with a somewhat blocky [maybe around 40 'columns'] animated visual spectrum analyzer.  I'm not even sure it's still available from the publisher -- AND it's a DX plug for 32 bit hosts, the half-forgotten 'official' Windows plugin format got swept aside by VSTs, so, really, going forward, not a great option, even for us darksiders.

(Also, the pay-for version of it was expensive. Great to get free with the deluxe DAW package, though. I worry about what I'll do if/when I no longer have a compatible system; however, with recent announcements and the imminent cessation of support for XP looming early in 2014, I'm seriously considering locking down my current desktop as a non-net, non-updating machine devoted primarily to audio and video production using the entirely adequate tools I already own. [EDIT: natch, within a week or so of writing that, I'd ordered a new box, moving up to only one version back, W7. Selling point: might be your last chance for Windows 7!])

Anyhow, I'm afraid I don't have much to offer/add, aside from two thumbs up for the idea -- I find the display a time-saver, and I have a pretty well honed sense of frequency. thumb.gif thumb.gif

• Members

Lee Knight wrote:

So, you slap an instance on your bass guitar and one on your kick, find the fundamental of your kick via the analyzer and neaten up the surrounding area and accentuate the fundamental or the harmonics of the fundamental, then move to the bass guitar and track the moving fundamental of that part. Then try to accentuate or cut to have the two work together nicely. Etc.Where's that harshness on that Tele? What's the woof? B3 or Piano? Is that boxy from the kick or the Les Paul?

Yes, I do all this in other ways (ears mostly and eyes) but I know I'd love the potential of an integrated plugin.

Waves H-EQ... may be something to consider... http://www.waves.com/plugins/h-eq-hybrid-equalizer

Still trying to figure out how to add a link.... SMH

• Moderators

Ernest Buckley wrote:

Lee Knight wrote:

Waves H-EQ... may be something to consider...
http://www.waves.com/plugins/h-eq-hybrid-equalizer

Still trying to figure out how to add a link.... SMH

That's the one! I want it. $89. Done.

• Members

For stuff like that I use a frequency analyzer in the mains bus, solo tracks and use the track EQ's when I need it. A plugin like Span is a dual trace analyzer and you can pan tracks hard left and right and get both spectrums to work independently in stereo mode.

Its a lot like using a reference track in Har bal except its in real time.

Last time I did this was to get two guitar tracks EQed similar. One was a DI track using an amp emulator plugin against a miced amp to get a complementary sound. It was real torture though. When the guitarist played a different song and had different amp tones and drive, any kind of EQ presets were useless. I did get the tracks to sound right though with the aid of span.

Span isn't very fast and there's no meter peak holds.

Haven't checked out that X3 version yet, but I'd say the ideal analyzer would be a multitrack version of span. Something you could stick in the mains bus and have maybe 6 or 8 tracks of different colors going. You could assign tracks to each band and use the channel EQ's to get your desired results. Have the view of the analyzer resizeable so it can be placed say along the top and allow you to use your channel EQ's or even place it on another computer monitor is you have a dual screen.

Peak holds is a key item though. You'd go nuts trying to view multiple traces in real time. If you had a solid peak hold, adjusting a second and third band to complement the first would be doable.

If you're looking for a good single band EQ analyzer, I'd have to say Voxengo Voxformer is hard to beat, especially for vocals. Besides the EQ that built into the analyzer screen, its got compressors, Gate, and DeEsser, plus some really decent drive settings for presence. Plus as you know, a normal EQ will boost or cut track DB levels, so having the in and out levels right there is a key item to have. 

Archived