Gibson Brands Announces Intention to Acquire Cakewalk

Anderton

• Members

Wow, the Roland ownership didn't last all that long!

The integration of with Sonar with Roland interfaces was pretty slick...hope that continues.  I just have a lowly Quad-Capture (which is a great unit), but V-Studio owners who invested pretty heavily must really wonder what's in store. 

Well, one thing at a time....Craig, will you somehow be part of the interface between Gibson and Cakewalk?   

nat whilk ii

• Members

MikeRivers wrote:

Is this what you've been working on that will set us on our collective ear?

I hope they do better with Cakewalk than they did with Opcode.

It's one of the things I've been working on :)  I believe the other shoe will drop at AES.

Cakewalk and Opcode are very, very different companies and I expect very different results.

• Members

nat whilk II wrote:

Wow, the Roland ownership didn't last all that long!

The integration of with Sonar with Roland interfaces was pretty slick...hope that continues.  I just have a lowly Quad-Capture (which is a great unit), but V-Studio owners who invested pretty heavily must
really
wonder what's in store. 

Well, one thing at a time....Craig, will you somehow be part of the interface between Gibson and Cakewalk?   

nat whilk ii

Expect integration with future TASCAM products (nothing on the drawing boards yet,so it will be a while), although of course, Roland interfaces will still work.

The fate of the VS-700 is a Roland question, I don't have an answer. However, it remains Mackie compatible, and Sonar is Mackie compatible, so at least it will always be able to do the motorized fader/bankswitching stuff no matter what.

As to my being the interface, I've been working closely with Henry J on putting this deal together and will continue to be involved with Cakewalk in the future (they specifically asked as part of the deal that they'd be able to have some of my time).

Henry's been using Cakewalk products since the DOS days, and Sonar has been his DAW of choice since it was introduced. So he came to the deal being intimately familiar with the company and its products, and he really hit it off with the Cakewalk folks when we visited there a couple weeks ago. I think they really enjoyed being able to talk on a hands-on tech level with Henry, he's not your typical CEO in that respect.

I feel really good about this. I think it's going to be good for Cakewalk's users, Cakewalk, and Gibson. Right place, right time and all that. As events unfold over the next two years, the purpose of acquiring Cakewalk will become even clearer.

• Members

mcmike100 wrote:

Did Gibson buy Harmony Central?

No, but there's a nice news lull around the changeover from Summer to Fall, so anything that happens of even remote interest gets a lot of attention. :)

Not that I would take advantage of that or anything...

Archived