Studio Furniture Recommendations?

Chumer

• Members
Hello all,

I live near Vancouver B.C. Canada and I'm buying a studio desk for the following gear. I'm hoping something from IKEA Canada or Staples Canada would work well. I already have tons of storage shelves, couch, chair etc. thus the remaining usable space is about 15 feet by 10 feet.

I'm a singer/guitarist/keyboardist and I'll be working alone in my hobby studio. I'm going to try and do a fair amount "in the box" except vocals, guitar and keyboard controller, and I may opt for a hardware control surface or a touch screen at some point soon.

I don't want anything too big or too expensive because I still want to maneuver in there and it doesn't makes sense (to me) to have studio furniture that costs a sizable percent of the gear itself. Suggestions? Also where's a cheap/good place to get things like LCD monitor mounts and such (hopefully locally)? The usual local retailers want way too much for these simple pieces.

Adam A7X monitors.

Roland UA-1010 Octa-Capture or Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 audio interface.

Korg Kronos 61 and/or Akai MPK88 $800 keyboards (may only need one at a time not sure yet).

Two: 24" LCD monitors or one: 27" monitor (not sure yet).

Mid-tower PC running Sonar Producer X2/X3 and Kontact Komplete. PC keyboard & mouse.

One: touch screen monitor mounted flat as a control surface (not sure if I am going to do this or not though).

12 Space Open Studio Rack.

Obliged I am, Chumer.

• Members

I would try not to get pressboard of any kind if you intend on moving the stuff around at all.  Other than that, I have no idea.  I just use two cheap Ikea tables, one of which is partially propped up by a short filing cabinet, and a couple of rack cases, some bookshelves with Primacoustic Recoil Stabilizers on top to hold the monitors, and it's okay, if not pretty. 

• Members

Chumer wrote:

Hello all,

I live near Vancouver B.C. Canada and I'm buying a studio desk for the following gear. I'm hoping something from IKEA Canada or Staples Canada would work well. I already have tons of storage shelves, couch, chair etc. thus the remaining usable space is about 15 feet by 10 feet.

I'm a singer/guitarist/keyboardist and I'll be working alone in my hobby studio. I'm going to try and do a fair amount "in the box" except vocals, guitar and keyboard controller, and I may opt for a hardware control surface or a touch screen at some point soon.

I don't want anything too big or too expensive because I still want to maneuver in there and it doesn't makes sense (to me) to have studio furniture that costs a sizable percent of the gear itself. Suggestions? Also where's a cheap/good place to get things like LCD monitor mounts and such (hopefully locally)? The usual local retailers want way too much for these simple pieces.

Adam A7X monitors.
Roland UA-1010 Octa-Capture or Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 audio interface.
Korg Kronos 61 and/or Akai MPK88 $800 keyboards (may only need one at a time not sure yet).
Two: 24" LCD monitors or one: 27" monitor (not sure yet).
Mid-tower PC running Sonar Producer X2/X3 and Kontact Komplete. PC keyboard & mouse.
One: touch screen monitor mounted flat as a control surface (not sure if I am going to do this or not though).
12 Space Open Studio Rack.

Obliged I am, Chumer.

I`ve been using Ikea furniture since 2005. Like Ken said, its not pretty but it gets the job done. My setup is pretty simple:

The Apple iMac, Duet 2, Equator D5 monitors all sit on the Ikea table. My Yamaha CP300 piano is at a right angle to the table. Between the table and keyboard is my 4 space outboard rack houses two Avalon 737s. That rack sits on a small side table from Ikea as well. Around 4 feet behind where I sit is an Ikea bookshelf, also Ikea, with some curtains on the wall (from Ikea). I would post a pic if I knew how...

Nothing wrong with keeping your set up on a table. If you`re working ITB, and have little outboard gear, it makes lots of sense to keep things within arms length to improve work flow. Unfortunately, most studio furniture (i.e.: Omnirax) that accomodates my setup costs well over a $1000.

Not worth it when a $200 table from Ikea will do.

• Members

Pressboard is heavy.  And if you move it, the screws tend to wiggle free easily.  It also has lots of glue, which affects people adversely sometimes.

It has its place if you are really really really on a budget and you can't find anything else and you are not going to move it around at all.  If it stays in place, it'll last for many years.

Otherwise, stay away.  You can get solid wood or other kinds of furniture for not too much more.

I have carpeted racks for my rack mount gear, which I don't think is made as often, but I got it back in the day, and as a bonus, it doesn't seem to have as much weird reflections as, say, a plastic rack case would, if that's a consideration.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived