A less expensive way to get your songs into the "stores" - first one free!

RoadRanger

• Members

I've been tracking Distrokid for a while now. I've been on Fandalism for some time (though not very engaged, I'm afraid) and followed some of this guy's other robo-ventures. (He's a one man shop, as I understand it, relying on automated software systems to do everything.)

The $20/year for unlimited distro on the several big stores they service is attractive. What's less persuasive is the profound lack of details on legal and practical matters of operation, etc.

I think it would be great to put up single tracks or albums as desired without further charge -- but the list of stores is pretty short (iTunes [and is that just iTunes US or does it include the other regional iTunes stores, which are all serviced separately [just to make the iTunes ordeal more ordealicious, I guess], Amazon, Google's ghost service, Spotify, and...nothing else. That leaves out all the other stream services like MOG/Beats Music, Rhapsody, and a number of Euro/UK services and stores. (For me, it's the question about which iTunes stores and the lack of support for MOG/Beats inclusion that is the current deal-breaker.)

I'm also keeping an eye on MondoTunes which appears to have very broad reach to stores and services and offers a one-fee-one-time model with 'full' royalties to the artists (where Tunecore and CDBaby charge up front and for annual accounting/maintenance).

MondoTunes is very attractive to me; I guess the main thing that holds me back is they just sound a little 'too good to be true'... and after 40 years in and around the music biz, sounding too good to be true is a real red flag for me.

That said, they might end up planting that red flag on my otherwise unmarked grave, so I'm probably going to do something sooner rather than later. 

I keep saying. 

Meanwhile, my Bandcamp pages abide...

• Members

blue2blue wrote:

is that just iTunes US or does it include the other regional iTunes stores, which are all serviced separately [just to make the iTunes ordeal more ordealicious, I guess],

RTFF wink.gif

"iTunes currently sells music in over 100 different countries. Your music will be available in all of those countries. As more countries become available, your music will be available in those countries, too."

For the click impaired biggrin.gif : https://distrokid.desk.com/customer/portal/topics/531628-frequently-asked-questions-with-answers-/articles

Archived