Remastering

Folder

• Members

Over the last twenty years or so a lot of classic rock records have been remastered. I've bought quite a few of them myself and most of them I've felt were improvements like the "1990 Led Zeppelin Remasters". But some of them I thought sounded too compressed.

Rush has just remastered their album Vapor Trails because in the words of Alex Lifeson :

"The original version is hard on your ears, because the mastering was pushed so hard, there's distortion and so much compression

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

AlamoJoe wrote:

Hey whatever....Just don't let 'em get near any Cream or Hendrix records with their digital washboards.

I'm pretty sure that most of the stuff from both Cream and Hendrix have been remastered multiple times. There are forums where people rate and talk about the differences in them.

I have several CDs that were remastered multiple times and the latest versions are not always the best.

For example, I think the Joe Gastwirt remasters of some of the Yes stuff are better than the later versions that were remastered for Rhino records. Also I have some Steely Dan CDs that I believe were probably the first remasters from the early nineties that sound much warmer and fuller than the later versions that I have on "Showbiz Kids: The Steely Dan Story." Ironically I think Roger Nichols remastered both versions.  

I've heard Jimmy Page is supposedly remastering the Zeppelin stuff again. I think the original remasters were a great improvement over the originals from the eighties. I hope he doesn't decide they need to be squashed in order to compete with most modern rock CDs.

Archived