Stanton Stylus Identification

MikeRivers

• CMS Author

Surely somebody (apparently not the manufacturer) must have compiled a list of all the Stanton phono styli identifying a stylus by the color and shape of the dot printed on housing. I've done the Google thing and mostly what i can turn up are "Can someone identify my cartridge?" posts, some with what seem like legitimate answers, others adding "I have one, too, what is it?" 

Well, someone gave me a couple the other day, one of which I hope is a suitable 78 RPM stylus for my 681EEE cartridge. It has a round blue dot. I assume that round means a spherical tip and and an elliptical dot means an elliptical tip, but what about size?

Hey, Stanton is now a Gibson company. Get with it, Craig! 

• Members

I have a Stanton TT in the studio with both a 33rpm stylus and 78rpm for the 500v3 series.  Mine look alike except one is black and one is white. So I feel your pain.   What you have and or need is the Stanton D6827 to play 78's with the 681EEE series.  Its black with blue lettering and a blue (round) dot.  Its a 2.7mil stylus. Hope that helps

• CMS Author

BushmasterM4 wrote:

What you have and or need is the Stanton D6827 to play 78's with the 681EEE series.  Its black with blue lettering and a blue (round) dot.  Its a 2.7mil stylus. Hope that helps

I think that may be what I have. I used to have a D6827 (I know, because I bought it) but it seems to have slipped beneath the surface. The one that I got in this lot is, as you describe, black with blue lettering and a round blue dot. There's another one that's also black with silver lettering and a round silver dot.The box that both came in is for a Stanton D6827, so at least there's a pretty good chance that one of those two is an acceptable choice for playing 78s.

I'm pretty sure that the shape of the dot (round or elliptical) indicates the shape of the point, but they have a couple of variations of elliptical.

I'm not going after preservation quality, I just like to play the records now and then (much more fun than hunting up a file on a computer), but I don't want to damage the record or the stylus any more than normal wear-and-tear.

Archived