Harmony Central Forums
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Return of...Is Your Music Any Good? Find Out Here!

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like the sounds ,....I love the song.

But have you ever,...(I'm not trying to get ya pissed at me) have you ever tried playing with a metronome? Or did you time it this way on purpose?
    Don't Eat The Yellow Snow. Don't Eat The Yellow Snow.

Comment

Originally posted by boosh

But have you ever,...(I'm not trying to get ya pissed at me) have you ever tried playing with a metronome? Or did you time it this way on purpose?

Assuming you mean me...

I was shooting for a rubato deal with that one. Believe me, it was tracked with a time reference. You can't do six or eight tracks of guitar without a time reference.

If you listen closely to the second part ("When my fist clenches" for those of you singing along at home) that was recorded very tight to a 4/4 click. I wanted the rhythmic intensity to come all from the phrasing. I tried a few percussion accents, but wasn't really happy with the sounds, so I scrapped it.

You want rhythmic? Light the Fuse
      Music for your busy day.

All the info you need.

Be my friend?

Comment

Assuming you mean me...

I was shooting for a rubato deal with that one. Believe me, it was tracked with a time reference. You can't do six or eight tracks of guitar without a time reference.

If you listen closely to the second part ("When my fist clenches" for those of you singing along at home) that was recorded very tight to a 4/4 click. I wanted the rhythmic intensity to come all from the phrasing. I tried a few percussion accents, but wasn't really happy with the sounds, so I scrapped it.

You want rhythmic? Light the Fuse
        Music for your busy day.

All the info you need.

Be my friend?

Comment

Originally posted by Billster

Assuming you mean me...

You want rhythmic? www.berkleemusic.com/assets/display/2108898/2108897.mp3]Light the Fuse[/URL]

I've been listening for 11 hours straight on today so maybe my ears are fatigued but,....

The riddim parts in both songs are tight,.. the solo parts seem sloppy timed.

I dig that last tune by the way man! It grooves. I wish it had more lyrics. Is this a working version to write lyrics to? Bass sounds cool also,.. It's about the same stuff we do with Bushcollectors. Very very cool. Is there more?

Comment

Originally posted by Billster

Assuming you mean me...

You want rhythmic? www.berkleemusic.com/assets/display/2108898/2108897.mp3]Light the Fuse[/URL]

I've been listening for 11 hours straight on today so maybe my ears are fatigued but,....

I dig that last tune by the way man! It grooves. I wish it had more lyrics. Is this a working version to write lyrics to? Bass sounds cool also,.. It's about the same stuff we do with Bushcollectors. Very very cool. Is there more?

Comment

Thanks for listening

That "Light the Fuse" tune is as it is. I don't know quite what to make of it, it's just sort of an experiment with some groove stuff and harmonizing with parallel structures. It's sort of an anomaly for me, I'm not usually that groov-a-licious.

As for the solos being ah ... let's say "less precise", I guess I just have to say that's my style.
              Music for your busy day.

All the info you need.

Be my friend?

Comment

Thanks for listening

That "Light the Fuse" tune is as it is. I don't know quite what to make of it, it's just sort of an experiment with some groove stuff and harmonizing with parallel structures. It's sort of an anomaly for me, I'm not usually that groov-a-licious.

As for the solos being ah ... let's say "less precise", I guess I just have to say that's my style.
                Music for your busy day.

All the info you need.

Be my friend?

Comment

I'm always a bit sheepish about putting my own stuff up in one of these threads for a couple reasons:

I already know what it sounds like and I know it's often sloppy and often compromised by technical issues -- because I put feel and intuition above all other considerations, as a rule.

When I was working for other folks, I labored to deliver the best technical recordings I could. But that stuff never really made much difference to me, personally. Some of my favorite records are a mess, technically.

So, with those lame excuses firmly in mind...

www.soundclick.com/onebluenine

Or cut straight to the DL page: one blue nine downloads

music and social links | recent listening

Comment

I'm always a bit sheepish about putting my own stuff up in one of these threads for a couple reasons:

I already know what it sounds like and I know it's often sloppy and often compromised by technical issues -- because I put feel and intuition above all other considerations, as a rule.

When I was working for other folks, I labored to deliver the best technical recordings I could. But that stuff never really made much difference to me, personally. Some of my favorite records are a mess, technically.

So, with those lame excuses firmly in mind...

www.soundclick.com/onebluenine

Or cut straight to the DL page: one blue nine downloads

Comment

blue2blue,

I wonder why people buy stuff like Moby and Massive Attack when there's blue2blue.

If I was a label I'd sign ya right away.

Comment

Whoa.

I'm blushing bright red... You're way too kind.

Of course, now anything nice you say to anyone else will be immediately suspect.

Comment

Originally posted by blue2blue

Whoa.

I'm blushing bright red... You're way too kind.

Of course, now anything nice you say to anyone else will be immediately suspect.

Okay,..they all suck actually,..but your postcount is allmost twice the amount of mine,....

That's about it,..uhhmm and yeah your feet smell.

Nuh I really dig music like that,....A lot of them triphop stuff comes from Bristol UK,..they have some awesome bands out there all stuff like this.

Comment

Thanks.

I got another nice compliment earlier today -- and though I probably seem at times preternaturally self-confident (or perhaps self-justified) these compliments have come at just the right time. I've been feeling quite the ugly duckling, lately. (That's what I get for listening to my own podcast. )

Comment

Bunny's "Lemon Frosting" is, as others have suggested, a delight. It's... confectionary. Pretty darn irressitable.

Comparisons to famous bands, of course, are the bane of threads like this, so please don't misunderstand, but Bunny's "Lovely Day" has some nice little (and not so little) production touches that make me think (in a very good way) of sort of a bit of 10cc crossed with a bit of Gentle Giant. And I think that's pretty cool.

Ted's "The Way It Goes" has a nice arty/jazzy bossa thing going that I like quite a bit. It's well-served by Ted's earnest, fluid tenor. I could really hear this in an alternative mix with Swingles Singer type baroquisms flowing up off Ted's delicately swinging scat singing. Nice... (And I'm fond of leaving a few little documentary touches in my recordings, too, like the sound of Ted putting down each guitar at the very end of the track.)

Guilty delight: "Walk Away, Renee"... digging this. Ted's voice is well suited to the song and the harmonies. Yearning, yearning, yearning. I like that solo, too...

I'm really digging Geoff's moody trip hop flavored stuff. Did "How Could They" cut off suddenly or is that a MySpace-related ish? And I like the impressionistic neoclassical elements in "Je Deteste L'Autobus"... great title, to boot. I'm liking "Stay Awake" a lot, too, especially where it veers into a bluesy thing right at the end. Miniatures, I guess you'd call these pieces. I'm feeling very continental...

Comment

Another vote for bunny. Good stuff.

Blue, I'm totally impressed with you're repetoire and the mixes are very well done.

You guys make me embarassed to post my stuff, but here it is.

Mercury Catfish
                                Fusion Tycoon

Mercury Catfish Myspace

Mercury Catfish

Comment

Working...
                                X