Just me, or did cakewalk X3 graft on MELODYNE as a haphazard afterthought?

• Members

Playing with SONAR X3 this morning,   and I notice there is no more V-VOCAL.    I check helpfiles and there is a hastily tacked-on note (above the V-VOCAL instructions)  that says,   "As of X3,  we're now using celemony MELODYNE".

What legal machinations produced this sudden turn,  I wonder?

• Members

Diminishing revenues at both Celemony and CW? 

Just, you know, to take the low ground...   wink.gif 

I haven't used later versions of Sonar's vocal tuning app since at most 8.5 but possibly earlier than that. But it was not my perception that its under-the-radar tuning capabilities were all that much better than, say, Auto-Tune, which is primarily useful on whole phrases but which tweaks out (like A-T) when you bend a phrase in the middle. (That said, versions of Melodyne seem to introduced a sort of cloud/haze over vocals and bent phrases may be a bit more subtle in their mangling but still produce recognizable tuning artifacts in the tricky bits.)

I've actually given up and I'm trying to learn to sing closer to pitch.  grin 

• Moderators

MikeRivers wrote:

Maybe Sonar was taking a hit from Studio One and had to play catch up. Studio One has included a version of Melodyne for a couple of years now.

Melodyne is the bees knees!  I just hope that Cakewalk didn't buy it and get rid of that genius guy who created it!  eek.gif

Terry D.

• Members

Well as it so happens, I know the complete story :)

Celemony developed ARA integration with PreSonus, which is why it appeared in Studio One Pro 2 first. However, it is not an "exclusive" standard. Cakewalk was next, but I'm sure you'll see it show up in other DAWs eventually. Also FWIW, my understanding is that by not being first out of the gate, Cakewalk was able to do a very deep implementation.

ARA was not set in stone when it was introduced, and will continue to be developed. It also appears to have more wide-ranging applications than being used solely with Melodyne.

Regarding V-Vocal, if you have a version of Sonar installed that had V-Vocal, it should still show up under Region FX in X3. I use both V-Vocal and Melodyne in my X3 projects. If you unstalled any previous versions of Sonar, V-Vocal doesn

Archived