Ways to come up with cool song themes / lyrics....

Dr. Tweedbucket

• Members

Pens are out, keys are in and off-key wins. From there you go to a-studio and pitch it till correct for EDM and then describe how to shoot your lover with a spoon for lyrics. The a-studio will cut you a demo. Then borrow a 100 buckaroos from the bank to promote it via payola to some music suit goodfella. He'll set you up in that a-studio with some knob turners and they will send you off to write more flatware lyrics for them to burn some midnight salaried oil to give you enough material to promote on a concert tour. Then buy your island and continue the same method madness.

• Members

Well, if you are not liking the way they are coming out, try avoiding the obvious topics and especially avoid common phrases and metaphors.

I use this weird title generator http://learnhowtowritesongs.com/random-song-title-generator/ and write down ANY phrases that strike me in any way, making a list of candidate titles a page or two long, then go back and review them, starring more evocative titles. If anything prompts a phrase to pop into my head, that's usually where to start, and you can "write to the title".... then it's all about writing line by line without worrying about editing until later... try just getting length and rhymes to match, and you may be surprised with the results, as they may be ok, or need minor adjustment only. You can either choose a rhyme scheme before you start or just see what occurs to you as you go, just be internally consistent (verses have the same rhyme scheme, etc.).

Once you have a list of titles with the best candidates marked, you can challenge yourself to write a song about any one, just to make yourself do it and get the practice... in fact i would suggest trying to write a song a day for a period of time and see if that helps you break through to some creative and more interesting song ideas.

Frankly, while everyone says love songs are what people want to hear, I am not sure that is true... say something else, avoid the obvious!

• 2 months later...
  • Members
That's the hardest part for me, writing a song that doesn't sound like it was penned by some ba-foon :(

Any ideas are appreciated.

The trick is to not care. Regardless of genre, all songs are basically stupid. Get used to it, get over it, and write it.

• Members

The trick is to not care. Regardless of genre, all songs are basically stupid. Get used to it, get over it, and write it.

Yep. There should be no high expectations despite the energy and spirit expended. Just have some fun with it and share it wherever and whenever you can.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived