You Are Loved

nat whilk II

• Members

Wrote this for the father-daughter dance at my daughter's wedding. Lawsa, EVERYTHING went wrong throwing this together on a deadline - Sonar kept crashing, Kontakt totally blew up, became unusable, had competing work deadlines, family coming into town for the event, beloved spouse is stressed into the infinite and beyond with wedding planning, etc.

Such is life :) Here's the track - it got distorted somehow in the final mixdown and export to mp3, but whatever, I'm out of time to tweak.

I have lyrics in process and a vocal in mind, but I'm getting feedback from my son that a vocal just doesn't seem the thing to do for the event - I think I concur. At any event...izwhutitiz

https://soundcloud.com/natwhilkii1/you-are-loved

I tell myself the somewhat muddy, distorted, swimmy sound is part of the nostalgic vibe, encapsulating all those years of being a dad with kids at home and all that wonderful chaos....

nat whilk ii

• Members
Sounds nice...a perfect melody for that dance.

Try a quick bounce with less gain on the master and you might have a cleaner track.

Thx, Leonard.

Yeah, somewhere between the limiter and the compression and the tape emulator and the console emulator and the stars in the sky and the earth below, something popped the levels too high.

I'm going to rework it from scratch anyway before I make it a CD gift to my daughter anyway....this current version the DJ already has, and the ceremony is in 4 hours....yikes!

nat whilk ii

• Members

Well, I had the headphones set VERY loud before I clicked the link and when it started, I came flying out of the chair. Once I got myself back together and listened to it, I enjoyed it very much. I agree with mbfrancis about the melody and chords...thought it was wonderful!

• Members
I think this is lovely' date=' I love the dissonances when the melody and chords fight. I hope the ceremony was lovely as well.[/quote']

Thx Martin - yes, the melody is about half suspensions, with the long sus2 on a minor chord being the most dramatic one. A bit schmaltzy, but I let my inner McCartney out since after all, it was a wedding :)

nat whilk ii

• Members
Well' date=' I had the headphones set VERY loud before I clicked the link and when it started, I came flying out of the chair. Once I got myself back together and listened to it, I enjoyed it very much. I agree with mbfrancis about the melody and chords...thought it was wonderful![/quote']

Thanks - I did try to get the track as loud as my home setup can produce without totally destroying the tone. The dance set was DJ'd, so I thought if I didn't make it loud, the track would be way too soft - but the DJ knew his stuff....

nat whilk ii

• Members
Beautiful! Some very nice' date=' unexpected changes with a bit of [i']trompe l'oreille [/i](ear) going on.

Thx Lee - it was a project, to make it flow but make it catch the ear with some unexpected changes at the same time - you know the drill, Brian Wilson and Bacharach and so on.

Nice to hear from you - you got any new stuff to post?

nat whilk ii

Archived