New demo "Liar"

lubeck

• Members

I think it's off to a good start. Of course, everything I say is just opinion, so take it with a grain of salt. I really think it could use more emotion. It kind of just goes through the entire song with one feel (maybe I'm not saying it right). I think it could build up a bit more to get more emotion across...maybe more aggressive picking, maybe more volume (or a different tonal quality) on the vocals during the chorus. I'm not suggesting anything drastic to change the song, but even a small change in the strumming pattern during the chorus would help keep the listener's ear/mind engaged and interested to see what's coming next.

Great work and keep writing!

• Members

I like how your vocals ride over the guitar. I just really like the plaintive emotion of the vocals in general.

I'm not one to look all that closely at lyrics but I do like to hear the vocals as a strong instrumental force in a song. However you are recording, don't be afraid to push your vocals to the front.

Can't be shy if you are going to write songs and put them out there, right?

:wave:

• Members
I'd love to get some feedbacks on that one. It's an acoustic demo but the actual song will have strings on it.

Hope you'll like it

I'm having trouble getting enough gain to hear the track, especially the lyric.

It sounds nice, but I'd really like to hear it better...

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Hi, Lubeck!

The good stuff first:

1. Your rhythm guitar playing is confident, expressive, in tune, and rhythmically impeccable. You're there.

2: Your voice is - may I say it? - beautiful. That's a God-given gift. Make the most of it.

Now - the problem: I can't understand most of the words.

That's not necessarily a fatal flaw. The Stone's "Parachute Woman" and Johnny Winter's "Leland, Mississippi Blues" are two of my favorite songs, and I can hardly understand a word of them. No one knows what Elton John is saying in "Goodbye, Yellow Brick Road." No one understands much of what Leadbelly was saying, and he's still popular after all these years. Lot's of Americans love Edith Piaf, and she was singing in French!

But since this is a songwriting forum: lyrics, please! You're obviously on to something, but I don't know what.

Archived