Starting a new songwriting/recording/album making project - Ezra Tull: The Dark Side of Honey

Tullsterx

• Members

Band: Ezra Tull Album: The Dark Side of Honey

Basically two guys writing and recording some songs again. Did one album before with me doing almost everything.

Though I'd share and get comments on our stuff as we get started.

Here's the first submission: If I Were You

• Members
Band: Ezra Tull Album: The Dark Side of Honey

Basically two guys writing and recording some songs again. Did one album before with me doing almost everything.

Though I'd share and get comments on our stuff as we get started.

Here's the first submission: If I Were You

Yeah, I like the track and the tune.

I'd like to see the lyric written out though. It makes it easier to comment on the words, extol their good points and make suggestions if necessary, etc.

• Members

Fair. But I'm not so sure how I feel about that. In a way, in music, the lyrics should be experienced as performed. It's not the same thing at all, to read them. For instance "Desperado, why don't you come to your senses?" could be expressed in a tone that suggests "Desperado, you're a despicable fool" or "Desperado, you're really a gentle soul who's lost his way." And I think the latter is really expressed in the tone of the song.and the delivery of the lyric. But, that said, here you go:

If I were you

I'd want someone good

It's true

I would

If you were me

You'd want to stay for good

It's true

You would

So, now you're gonna give me up

You're reaching for that golden cup

I'm sure we'll both be happy, but for now

I'd say, this sucks

If I were you

I would see right through

My lies

I know its true

If you were me

Could you let you go

Could you cut

These ropes

So, I'm not big on strict rhythmic pentameter or rhyming. And, these lyrics are meant to describe a sense of loss and longing with a dark undertone. Like the specific reference to "These ropes" not "Those (theoretical) ropes" at the end.

• Members
Fair. But I'm not so sure how I feel about that. In a way, in music, the lyrics should be experienced as performed. It's not the same thing at all, to read them.

If I were you

I'd want someone good

It's true

I would

If you were me

You'd want to stay for good

It's true

You would

So, now you're gonna give me up

You're reaching for that golden cup

I'm sure we'll both be happy, but for now

I'd say, this sucks

If I were you

I would see right through

My lies

I know its true

If you were me

Could you let you go

Could you cut

These ropes

So, I'm not big on strict rhythmic pentameter or rhyming. And, these lyrics are meant to describe a sense of loss and longing with a dark undertone. Like the specific reference to "These ropes" not "Those (theoretical) ropes" at the end.

Thanks.

• Members
. . . In a way' date=' in music, the lyrics should be experienced as performed. . . .[/quote']

Yup. I never realized just how true that is until George Harrison died. My boss asked me to find a good Harrison quote for our newsletter, and what I discovered (and my boss completely agreed when I showed her a bunch of his lyrics) was that without the music, his lyrics are nothing. "I look at the floor and I see it needs sweeping"?

That's not at all a criticism of his lyrics. George was writing songs, not poetry or chamber music. He wrote music and words that fit together to create something more than the sum of the parts.

. . . I'm not big on strict rhythmic pentameter or rhyming . . . .

Right again. I remember writing out the words to "Heat Wave" and realizing that as long as the music has enough beats in it, you can drop the words wherever you want. The goal is to sound good, not to fit a syllable grid.

Your song is solid. Good words, good singing, good chords, good fill and solos, good arrangement. The only weak point for me (and this might be just a matter of taste - if you're happy, that's what matters) is that the drums don't rise to the occasion. Not as soulful as the rest of the tune. They're loud enough and steady, but they're marching mechanically outside the song instead of clicking in with everything else.

Pre-recorded? Synthetic? A beat track? If it's not a live drummer, that 's worth considering at some point - if not for this song, then maybe for the next. If it's you or your buddy playing drums, you might want to look around for a third co-conspirator who groks your style.

But that's minor, and it's just one very non-professional opinion. You have a good tune there. Thanks for posting it!

Archived