iPhone Recorder

Jersey Jack

• Members

I made the mistake of getting an iPhone with minimal storage capacity, and Garageband is taking up a lot of space. Given the fact that I have no use for any of the loops or virtual instruments, I'd like to delete the app. (I wish Apple would a Garageband light for those who need only simple audio recording, but that's apparently not in the cards.) So my question: What would be a good recording program for me? We're talking about recording song demos, the vast majority of which would be simple acoustic guitar and vocals, though I occasionally would want to add another track or two to capture some harmony vocals or an electric guitar lead. Strictly audio. I know that the iPhone has a voice memos app, but I'm vain enough to want something that has at least some reverb--hopefully a bit more in the sound-shaping department. Any ideas?

• Members

Get a memory upgrade for the phone? I don't own a cell phone so I have no idea what I'm talking about. Guessing, the technology should be memory upgrade capable, no? Otherwise, yea, the well is deep with GB and it's rare I'll mess with anything aside from EQ and reverb. Maybe just use the phone for scratch-tracking ideas?

• Members
[...] Guessing' date=' the technology should be memory upgrade capable, no? [...']
Oh, you naive soul, you! :D

Not only does Apple get away with locking their iPhones and iPads from battery replacements and memory upgrades -- or, in fact, any repair or mod from a non-Apple authorized service [an 'unauthorized' repair will invoke Error 53, permanently 'bricking' the phone (which is what it sounds like); even a cable replacement!] -- because they've got away with it and (until just recently) had become the richest company on earth doing it, now Google does it with their Nexus products.

You see, Google does not 'believe' in add-in memory. It's too 'unreliable' so they prevent ANY of their apps from using user-addable SD/microSD memory. Which makes using many of their apps a total pain on phones that have limited internal storage, even if they have huge SD storage.

[i haven't heard their excuse, er, excuse me, [i]rationale[/i] for denying us user-replaceable batteries. But, in reality, we all know it's because Apple can get away with it and they make a bucket of money doing it.]

I have an old LG Android 2.3 phone with a 32 GB add-in microSD card. It works great -- with everything except Google apps. Because Google's (coincidentally bloated, RAM-sucking) apps won't store in that memory, but won't fit in the limited internal storage.

Worse, some of their apps (like the otherwise pretty decent Google Music) store all their graphics in your devices' internal storage. In the case of my GM account, that comes to nearly a half GB of storage. Completely cripples my old phone. OK. It's old.

But it ALSO can bring my Google-branded Nexus 7 tablet to its knees.

And if you delete the bloated graphics storage from your device, it just starts filling back up again the next time you use it -- which sucks up my wi-fi/download bandwidth as it slowly re-downloads that half GB of album covers and similar crap. I do not need album covers to listen to music on my phone or tablet. But I do need storage that works. Extremely irritating.

(I mostly use GM from the desktop, where it works surprisingly very well -- and I really like it [i've used 7 different subscription services over the last decade]. But, you know, it would be NICE if it at least worked on the Google Nexus 7 tablet I paid a premium for a couple years back. =/ )

Archived