F.I.T. December 25, 2015

LCK

• Members

Three of my biggest songwriting influences are Shakespeare, Twain and Mercer.

They were all consummate wordsmiths. But while Shakespeare's plays are peppered with songs -- especially the comedies -- like many of his plays they were based on pre-existing works, yet his vocabulary, his understanding and use of language, are still unparallelled. And of course Mark Twain was a novelist and, in a certain way, the first stand-up comic. He also had an astonishingly rich vocabulary.

Still, of the three only Mercer was a songwriter. So why include Twain and Shakespeare? (And why not Bob Dylan or Tom Waits? Talk about wordsmiths!)*

I think the thing I admire most about Mercer is his ability to write lyrics that sound simple but show a stunning level of craftsmanship.

"I Thought About You," music by Jimmy Van Heusen.

"Emily," music by Johnny Mandel.

"Drinking Again," music by Doris Tauber.

*(Good question...)

• Members

A holiday song... influenced by one of my influences... heavily influenced by one of my influences... biggrin.gif

Santa Sabbath doing the title song from their eponymous album... see if you can spot the influence...

And a nod to multi-culturalism... "Electric Hanukkah"

And after a couple of those, you might be ready for a full album of this...

• Members
Three of my biggest songwriting influences are Shakespeare, Twain and Mercer.

They were all consummate wordsmiths. But while Shakespeare's plays are peppered with songs -- especially the comedies -- like many of his plays they were based on pre-existing works, yet his vocabulary, his understanding and use of language, are still unparallelled. And of course Mark Twain was a novelist and, in a certain way, the first stand-up comic. He also had an astonishingly rich vocabulary.

Still, of the three only Mercer was a songwriter. So why include Twain and Shakespeare? (And why not Bob Dylan or Tom Waits? Talk about wordsmiths!)*

I think the thing I admire most about Mercer is his ability to write lyrics that sound simple but show a stunning level of craftsmanship.

"I Thought About You," music by Jimmy Van Heusen.

"Emily," music by Johnny Mandel.

"Drinking Again," music by Doris Tauber.

*(Good question...)

Just using the pen instead of the brush. Such artistic flare with words. So dang "great"!

• Members

Hope everyone is having a good holiday season.

Since it's been in the 80s down here, I've been walking around singing White Christmas. I worked up a version of it for the annual Christmas Show we do in support of the Christmas album we put out a few years ago. I don't really have a video to reference for it. The bass player told me they were used to jazzier approach with more chord changes. I sort of just made it work for me. Finger picked with a fiddle, upright bass, and brushes on a snare, somewhere between John Prine and Bob Wills. I ended up getting a lot of compliments on the arrangement, which was nice. If we do another Christmas album this might have to go on it.

Archived