F.I.T. November 27, 2015

LCK

• Members

Booker T. Jones, Donald Duck Dunn, Steve Cropper and Al Jackson Jr.

[video=youtube;50xx1_CbJTI]

[video=youtube;_bpS-cOBK6Q]

Willie Nelson with Booker T. Jones on organ. "Stardust," music by Hoagy Carmichael, words by Mitchell Parrish (1927).

[video=youtube;SfDVv1ASJ3M]

• Members

Speaking of Hoagy Carmichael, here's a little Thanksgiving number he wrote with Johnny Mercer in 1934 (81 years ago!)...

[video=youtube;GYZ1Y0EFwKs]

Come the first snappy weather

folks'll get together

down t'uncle Bill's,

down among the hills.

Table's set and you can bet

everyone'll get

lots of turkey. Forty pound!

Then we'll smoke and talk and joke,

laugh until we choke,

till the cider comes 'round.

All the kids will be yelpin'

for a second helpin'

down t'Uncle Bill's,

down among the hills.

Well, it looks like snowin'.

Soon we'll all be goin'

down t'Uncle Bills once more!

Happy (belated) Thanksgiving!

• Members
^^^ Another young London girl adopts American accent to sink middle of the road songs of separation and loss.

And the cash registers never stop jingling. It's the perennial formula.

Yeah feel free to diss anything that is not from the 40's, 50's and 60's. Today's music influences tomorrow's musicians. Not every kid in Kansas listens to the oldies station.

• Members

Yeah feel free to diss anything that is not from the 40's, 50's and 60's. Today's music influences tomorrow's musicians. Not every kid in Kansas listens to the oldies station.

I didn't mention older styles of music in my comment. I love all good music whatever the era.

I simply said that Adele has a commercial formula that works well for her financially. Read the post.

• Members

I didn't mention older styles of music in my comment. I love all good music whatever the era.

I simply said that Adele has a commercial formula that works well for her financially. Read the post.

Yeah you don't have to make excuses for your trolling. I don't see you dissing any other song in this thread which are all just as formula based. When you sell 3.5 million albums in a week you're bound to be an influence on the people who listen. Maybe this should be the OSO "old songs only" influence thread.

• Members
Who pissed in your Cheerios dude?

This thread is about influences. I'm influenced by both old and new. How about you?

Yeah I guess you can diss somebody's influence, make excuses for it, then get backup from people who pretend they can't see the obvious. I couldn't care less if you like my choice of music. Just keep the sarcasm to yourself. This is supposed to be a friendly, respectable forum, according to what I've read.

• Members

Yeah I guess you can diss somebody's influence, make excuses for it, then get backup from people who pretend they can't see the obvious. I couldn't care less if you like my choice of music. Just keep the sarcasm to yourself. This is supposed to be a friendly, respectable forum, according to what I've read.

Huh? I was just commenting on your pissy behavior and wondering what your influences are.

• Members
This is what influences people nowadays.

Adelle is a great singer. One of the singers I work with is very influenced by her catalog, and I've enjoyed learning a bunch of her stuff.

When you say something like "This is what influences people nowadays," it sounds like you're being dismissive of other people's influences. Alot of folks around here have influences that go back further. That doesn't make them any less valid. I'm sure a fresh perspective would be welcome if it didn't come across snarky.

• Members
The Old Guitar Player guy started it all by dissing Adele's song - maybe he should be the one you guys pile on.

Quit being a prick. You started it last week, by saying let's bring the thread into the 21st century. Then this week you're back with more of the same BS.

• 3 weeks later...
  • CMS Author

Okayyyy.....

rhino55, your personal attack isn't welcome. No name-calling.

Chordptrn, the fact here is that YOU started this by making the issue personal with oldgtplayer. He was indeed simply stating that Adele is using a formulaic approach and cashing in as a result. It's one thing to be sarcastic about artists, quite another to direct rhetoric at HC members.

Let's just make it about the topic and not the participants, please. And please do not argue my direction here. 'Tis the season, and all that....

• Members

Everyone is welcome to their opinion on the forum. However, I can't recall any video submissions on F.I.T. ever being trashed the way Adele's song was in this thread. Members usually applaud the submissions etc etc.. and remark how wonderful their choices are. I believe this was a thinly veiled attempt to tick me off and it succeeded. Your opinion may vary but that's how I see it.

Being called a prick just reinforces my observation that the clique that runs this place has no intention of embracing anything or anyone new and modern.

I doubt that this attitude will change in the near future, therefore, I leave the direction of this forum to it's current members and hope you all enjoy health, happiness and prosperity in the future.

• Members
Okayyyy.....

rhino55, your personal attack isn't welcome. No name-calling.

Chordptrn, the fact here is that YOU started this by making the issue personal with oldgtplayer. He was indeed simply stating that Adele is using a formulaic approach and cashing in as a result. It's one thing to be sarcastic about artists, quite another to direct rhetoric at HC members.

Let's just make it about the topic and not the participants, please. And please do not argue my direction here. 'Tis the season, and all that....

I won't argue with your direction. I would like to point out that showing up 20 days later when I doubt you understand what really happened isn't really all that helpful, but since we don't really have a moderator anymore, I realize this job probably fell to you even though you'd rather not have to deal with it.

Just to fill you in on the back story in case you were unaware. The moderator here hasn't been around in a while for reasons unbeknownst to me. I do know that he and one of the other regulars started collaborating together directly which generated some pretty nice output, but once they bypassed using the forum it pretty much dried up.

Maybe there is a push to build the presence here, because this place is a shell of it what it once was. If there is a desire to change the culture in order to make this happen, then perhaps some of us old guard might be better off to move on.

• CMS Author

I don't mind dealing with this. The "prick" post was reported today, I read the thread, and posted what needs to happen. We don't need to know about cliques and grudges; what was written was a personal insult in response to snarky and too personal comments. What happened before that in another thread isn't important in this thread...your posts have to stand on their own merit or lack thereof.

Nobody is trying to change the culture. You are responsible for that part. It is what you make of it. We just ask that everyone be civil to one another.

Archived