F.I.T. October 2, 2015

LCK

• Members

Bobby Caldwell, "What You Won't Do for Love." (1978)

[video=youtube;hA2M8-csDDg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA2M8-csDDg

Wikipedia:

Caldwell's music has been a popular source material for other artists, sometimes of differing genres, to sample. Of the many releases that make use of pieces of Caldwell's work, the following are some of the most prominent:

Sampling "What You Won't Do for Love"

Main article: What You Won't Do for Love (song)

• Members

Glen Campbell had a phenomenal career, touring with the Beach Boys (he played bass and sang Brian's high parts), playing on all sorts of recording sessions (as part of the "The Wrecking Crew"), and singing lead on the Sagittarius single "My World Fell Down," then hooking up with Jimmy Webb, for some great pop records, etc., etc.

His first hit song was produced in 1961! Written by Campbell and Jerry Capehart, who also wrote "Summertime Blues" for Eddie Cochran.

[video=youtube;HhpIYHtiTeo]

He re-recorded it in 1968.

[video=youtube;AIEYrHXYuKY]

• Members
I hadn't seen this till last night. Neat.

[video=youtube;ytRnjCY3KBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytRnjCY3KBE

Huh, new to me, too. Kinda lacks the sass of the hit version, and you sure have to like just hearing two chords over and over to stay with it all the way through. Still, nice, easy version - interesting how he cut stuff out on the radio version.

I have mixed feelings about ol' Steve Miller. I liked his earlier stuff quite a lot, but when he started having his big string of superhits, I fell off his wagon pretty much.

My favorite Miller track has to be this one - I've posted it before. McCartney played the drums and bass, some guitar, and you can pick him out in the harmonies if you listen close. This was right at the time the other Beatles were pressuring Paul to sign off on letting Alan Klein manage them - a dark hour, indeed.

From McCartney's bio - Many Years From Now:

Steve Miller happened to be there recording, late at night, and he just breezed in. 'Hey, what's happening, man? Can I use the studio?' 'Yeah!' I said. 'Can I drum for you? I just had a ****************ing unholy argument with the guys there.' I explained it to him, took ten minutes to get it off my chest. So I did a track, he and I stayed that night and did a track of his called My Dark Hour. I thrashed everything out on the drums. There's a surfeit of aggressive drum fills, that's all I can say about that. We stayed up until late. I played bass, guitar and drums and sang backing vocals. It's actually a pretty good track.It was a very strange time in my life and I swear I got my first grey hairs that month. I saw them appearing. I looked in the mirror, I thought, I can see you. You're all coming now. Welcome.

[YOUTUBE]WPf52CpD7JQ[/YOUTUBE]

nat whilk ii

• Members

My favorite Miller track has to be this one - I've posted it before. McCartney played the drums and bass, some guitar, and you can pick him out in the harmonies if you listen close.

Cool. Sounds like it could have been an unreleased track from the White Album.

Archived