What To Do With This

nat whilk II

• Members

https://soundcloud.com/natwhilkii1/what-to-do-with-this

This is 2+ minutes of a song in process. Two sections, that flow into each other - but neither is "verse" nor "chorus" yet. No lyrics, no main melody, no vocals yet.

"What to do with this" is not the real title, it's where I'm at with the thing.

I need a spark as to the mood message - what does it seem to evoke? I'm not finding a basic idea in spite of putting a lot of time into it so far.

Or should I leave it instrumental? That would be the easiest thing...repeat the whole thing once more with some variations here and there and done. As it stands, it probably seems to meander at bit, because it's intended to back a main vocal melody that carries the main musical message. So I'd have come up with something to solve that.

Any comments appreciated - on the mix, the mood, the construction, whatever...

nat whilk ii

• Members

I know what I would do with it - read on and see if this shoe fits……..

There is a lot of melodic movement already, and instead of having a vocal following it, I'd let the melodic movement remain in the backing and do a vocal that was fairly level and even. Think 'I am the Walrus' - it does exactly that with all those changes underneath.

As far as a lyric is concerned, I'd open my file of one liners and couplets stored for a rainy day, and use the Bowie method.

The music has a strong mood and would support any enigmatic nonsense.

Anyway, that's what I would try in the first instance.

• Members
I know what I would do with it - read on and see if this shoe fits……..

There is a lot of melodic movement already, and instead of having a vocal following it, I'd let the melodic movement remain in the backing and do a vocal that was fairly level and even. Think 'I am the Walrus' - it does exactly that with all those changes underneath.

As far as a lyric is concerned, I'd open my file of one liners and couplets stored for a rainy day, and use the Bowie method.

The music has a strong mood and would support any enigmatic nonsense.

Anyway, that's what I would try in the first instance.

Thx, OGP. Yeah, I was thinking about long notes for the vocal, sort of sailing over the top of the busy backing stuff.

Pondering your suggestions, the backing track sounds dreamier, spacier to me now. I might go for "I dreamed myself a dream" sort of thing. I remember lots of dreams and I have all sorts of recurring dreams that evolve over time. My actual flying dream has evolved over time this way -

When I was a kid, my flying dreams were pretty standard. I'm out on a hill on a bright breezy day...take a running start then push off and up I go...or not. Sometimes I just couldn't get any lift so I'd just float a few feet and back down. Other times I'd go way high, maybe 500 feet up and drift around in utter bliss, looking at the tiny things on the ground. But no real control...I'd descend slowly at some point, there was nothing I could do to stay up there once the descent started. Occasionally there would be a train below me, running in the same direction and I'd float down towards it, frightened that I'd land on it - but just before complete panic, I'd wake up.

For some 30+ years, in these dreams my flying ability was my secret - no one else in the dream ever saw me or knew. Then for some reason, in these dreams, I started saying to myself, "ya know, it's time I just let people know I can do this, really. I owe it to myself and in a strange way, even to them, since it's not known that human flight is even possible." So for another stretch of years I would dream that I'd fly around as usual, and I could steer myself to some extent, but whenever I'd try to steer myself to where people could see me, I'd go up too high and I was never sure anyone could see me or even realize what they were seeing if they could.

Then - and this is just in the last 10 years or so - I managed to actually fly inside some building or other. A big church or a large terminal or office building - a few times even in a wide hallway, crowded with people (how could they miss seeing me, right?) But to my disappointment, they would notice, but hardly react at all. I sensed some resentment or jealousy or dislike emanating from them. I'd see a glance here and there in my direction, quickly withdrawn and I'd be ignored.

There's a great irony here in that as I became increasingly absorbed with being "seen", I also lost the original bliss of the experience.

So...as for a song, I could have one verse be the childhood version, and two more verses - one where I try to reveal myself but fly too high, the last where I'm actually in a crowd, indoors....but to no avail.

To me, all these dreams encapsulate the way artistic types feel about their gift and how people relate to them as artists so much of the time...ya know?

nat whilk ii

• Members

So...as for a song, I could have one verse be the childhood version, and two more verses - one where I try to reveal myself but fly too high, the last where I'm actually in a crowd, indoors....but to no avail.

To me, all these dreams encapsulate the way artistic types feel about their gift and how people relate to them as artists so much of the time...ya know?

nat whilk ii

This looks difficult to achieve in song - a danger of being explanatory and prosaic.

The music has a terrific dreamy element and perhaps the lyric can be fairly esoteric.

There's a Sufi saying that, 'Most people live their lives asleep in a nightmare of unfulfilment'.

Perhaps describe the people you mentioned going about their lives in an unconscious way while some awaken and take to the skies. Maybe some dream a different dream.

Just a possibility……….

• Members

I spent a little time reading your description and though this is very rough and, most likely not that good, I thought it might head you off in the direction you truly want to go...it could be first person or 3rd or whatever. I feel a J Lennon kind of mystical song vibe if the words can be matched up.

His flying ability was his secret

It was time to let them know he can do this

He managed to fly inside of a church

Flew too high scraped the ceiling with a kiss

How could they miss seeing me he thought

He’d watch them see a glance here and there

Quickly they withdrew totally ignored

People starring blindly at open air

• Members

This looks difficult to achieve in song - a danger of being explanatory and prosaic.

The music has a terrific dreamy element and perhaps the lyric can be fairly esoteric.

Good point - I'm not planning on telling my whole dream story, just sketching essentials. More of a mysterious mood piece than a story song.

Cool track! I'd call it "what to do with this". You find a note on your fridge from her that ends with 'love you' but the body of it seems to say something else between the lines.

Oh, that's a great song-starter idea. Not for my current tune, but..hmm....C&W maybe?

I stumbled in late,

tempting my fate

shipwreck in my head

and the note said (da..da..da..)

Gone

Food in the fridge

You can have it all

Check the messages you had a call

It's a great backing track. And I think your flying idea is right on.

Thx, Lee. I trust your instincts.

I spent a little time reading your description and though this is very rough and, most likely not that good, I thought it might head you off in the direction you truly want to go...it could be first person or 3rd or whatever. I feel a J Lennon kind of mystical song vibe if the words can be matched up.

His flying ability was his secret

It was time to let them know he can do this

He managed to fly inside of a church

Flew too high scraped the ceiling with a kiss

How could they miss seeing me he thought

He’d watch them see a glance here and there

Quickly they withdrew totally ignored

People starring blindly at open air

I like the blind staring into open air image....kind of creepy. I'll put your ideas into the pot, thx!

This tune is going to take some work. I'm ready for one of those easy come songs, but it's not happening right now.

nat whilk ii

• Members

+1 to the title could be "What to Do With This" :)

I do think you're idea about the flying dreams is a REALLY good one, but that's alot of ground to cover in one song. To really get the story across, it's the type of thing you could do over the course of 3 or 4. I also think it can work as a mysterious mood piece.

Archived