Song Challenge - Sacha the Spider (1st draft)

oldgitplayer

• Members

I've made a start on this, and unusually for me, I'm attempting to write lyric and music at the same time. (I need the exercise).

The music is simply an instrumental idea to be developed into a vocal.

And the lyric - well - I don't know how the story will end yet. 2nd draft to reveal all.

Thoughts and suggestions please on the ideas so far. Music and lyric.

http://picosong.com/mihZ

Sacha the Spider

V1

Let me tell you a story 'bout Sacha the spider

A cool kid who eases the eye

She spins her charm like silken threads

With intentions to catch the fly. Alternative (Determined to catch the fly.)

I'll now introduce the elegant Francois

He flew in from Saint Tropez

Immediately spying the colorful Sacha

Who thought 'He'll be my dinner today'

Bridge 1

Sacha was lonely, Sacha was needy

And Sacha was hungry too

But Francois was canny and circled with caution

Before saying 'Comment allez-vouz?' Alternative (How are you.)

V2

Bridge 2

V3

• Members

Thanks guys for your comments - you are both right with your suggestions.

I apologise for having wasted your time, but I'm not continuing with this song.

I have a couple of ways in mind to develop it, but I don't really care for the whole idea.

As many of my lyrics tend towards having something to say, I thought I might write something lightweight or even frivolous, but I'm not sure that I am able to hire myself out to myself in this manner.

Tomorrow is another day, and I'll take the easier route and return to writing something that might mean something to me……...smiley-indifferent

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Sasha the Spider

V1

Let me tell you about Sasha the spider

The leggy lady of many eyes

She cast her spells in silken threads

To charm the passing flies.

Now Francois knew of her risky ways

His instincts had told him so

He knew he was on her menu, you see

And she’d gladly end his days

Bridge 1

V2

Sasha was lonely, Sasha was needy

And Sasha was hungry too

But Francois was canny and circled with care

Before asking My lady, how are you?

He called to her from beyond the reach

Of her wind-sung strings of spells

And hypnotized her with motioned flight

To her doom as this story tells

Bridge 2

V3

She followed him and his every move

And, unable to break from her stare

She suddenly vanished without a sound

And Francois flew away from her lair

Her charms, it seems, spelled her own doom

Making Francois fly to and fro

He hypnotized her with his own charming flight

And a frog swallowed her from below.

• Members

^^^ I wasn't expecting this - well done.

I always intended that Francois was too smart to become someone's dinner, but I like the twist that Sasha ends up there.

You have created some good lines too : 'The leggy lady of many eyes' and others.

Maybe I'll resurrect the song - I first need to want to.

Thanks for the input.

• Members

Hey that's a great re-write ldunno, nice work!

My only feedback on this at this point is wondering if it's possible to pull this off with *fewer* direct spider/insect references. Like maybe not even say she's a spider, but that the spider/fly dynamic is the framework for the whole thing, and if the listener is sharp they can pick it out from context clues. "Many eyes" could be a lot of things for example. It would make it more universal, but still unique in its telling. Just an idea, hopefully it makes sense.

Also spelling of Sasha is immaterial obviously *matters what is heard), but are you intentionally using an ambiguous name

• Members

My only feedback on this at this point is wondering if it's possible to pull this off with *fewer* direct spider/insect references. Like maybe not even say she's a spider, but that the spider/fly dynamic is the framework for the whole thing, and if the listener is sharp they can pick it out from context clues. "Many eyes" could be a lot of things for example. It would make it more universal, but still unique in its telling. Just an idea, hopefully it makes sense.

My original intention was to write about people and not insects (if you read my original). I think I was heading towards Francois being smart and not falling for the standard methods of entrapment - hence remaining a free fly.

But both approaches can work.

• Members
^^^ I wasn't expecting this - well done.

I always intended that Francois was too smart to become someone's dinner, but I like the twist that Sasha ends up there.

You have created some good lines too : 'The leggy lady of many eyes' and others.

Maybe I'll resurrect the song - I first need to want to.

Thanks for the input.

It just kinda spilled out. The opening lines set up one of those tortoise and hare stories with a moral, IMO, so I set the characters up and it played out from there pretty much under its own steam. I think I was playing Sasha as a character so sure of herself she drops her defenses and fails to monitor the world around her. If I may make an analogy - 911.

Anyway, you're welcome and use it or lose it as you will. I didn't attempt any further writing of verse or melody. I just couldn't leave it hanging.

• Members

I think I was playing Sasha as a character so sure of herself she drops her defenses and fails to monitor the world around her.

This is a good point that helps the development of the narrative. It just needs one line somewhere to mention her to be confident but careless.

Archived