A new idea (unfinished)

• Members

Here is the start of a new one - just a rough guitar and vox run through (i layed a couple of guitars but it needs much more.

Does it need a bigger chorus or perhaps a bridge?

I think the idea is on the repeating lines to add harmonies as they repeat.

Anyway - thoughts?

https://soundcloud.com/stickboy/where-do-you-sleep-rough-idea

Where do you sleep?

Little girl lost in a snow field

Where do you go....do you go when you're lonesome?

Walk across the lake that was perfectly frozen?

Moving with the force or perpetual motion?

You said you had a dream that was more like a notion

Where do you sleep...do you sleep?

Sleep safely tonight.

Little boy asleep by a window

What do you see...do you see when you're dreaming?

A book without words stripped of it's meaning?

Cathedral tower no longer leaning?

The image of your faith you no longer believe in?

Sleep safely tonight.

Sleep safely tonight.

• Members

In the pines! :)

This is great as usual.

Did you mean to say "the force?" That makes me think Star Wars which maybe what you were going for since perpetual motion is just as realistic. If you didn't want folks to think star wars there are a couple ways you could change it, cut "the" or change "or" to "of."

Notion in the next line sort of feels like it's there for the rhyme. I think it would work very well if it were the first line in a couplet, but as the second it feels off to me.

The whole second verse is really strong. I would change "your faith" to "the faith" since it's not really his anymore if he doesn't believe in it.

• Members

I don't think it needs a bridge, but if you were to come up with one...?

I like the conceit of the lyric, but the tone changes dramatically in the 2nd verse. I'd much rather see you keep that same semi-childlike tone rather than veer off into questions about losing one's religion.

I agree with Rhino about "notion" but disagree about "perpetual motion." I think that's perfect for a song about dreaming...

• Members

Stickboymusic: sorry I can't reply in the reply box, I can just use the comment section.

I think it's very sweet. Your voice is gentle & the little guitar is great. hm..I also like the structure of the song

• Members

This is exceptional, what a great start. I'll let others drill on the meaning but from a wordplay/vibe standpoint, it's fantastic.

* You've probably already tried and discarded it, but try continuing the chord descent on the repeated lines. Not all the way...maybe G - D/F# - Em - D/F#?

* I agree with the edit "moving with the force of perpetual motion."

* I think it does need a bridge.

Big thing for me is that the lines go by so quickly I don't get to appreciate them as much....part of me wishes it were a little slower so I could savor the words. Seriously, I like them that much. Not sure how actionable that feedback is though. :)

• Members

IMO a 3rd section is needed but not a bridge...more like an AAA structure...it would or could tie the boy and girl together or a bigger idea of a more universal connection...Girl-Boy-Universe

• Members
IMO a 3rd section is needed but not a bridge...more like an AAA structure...it would or could tie the boy and girl together or a bigger idea of a more universal connection...Girl-Boy-Universe

That could work...

Archived