Bring The Rain

• Members

I just finished up something that was a bit more uptempo and electric (check my link if you're curious about that one) and I made myself the same two promises that I seem to make every time these days.

1. I'm going to take a real beak and give my ears a rest.

.....and.......

2. At least I'm going to get back to basics and do a nice mellow acoustic piece without all that foolish production.

I posted that tune on my SoundClick page and went out for a run in the early light of dawn to clear my head. It was warm....sultry even...and it felt like rain that I knew was not coming. As I ran I slipped into a mantra.....bring the rain...1, 2,......bring the rain....3, 4.....bring the rain....1, 2......bring the rain...3, 4........bring the rain...1, 2.....bring the rain....3, 4......

It was a good run and when I got home I, of course, fired up the gear and tracked an acoustic guitar. The thing is, though....I really do need a break. Or maybe I just need some help with this one...........

Bring the rain

And wash me down the river

Bring the rain

And roll me in the mud

Bring the rain

I got nothing left to give

So bring the rain

Bring the flood

That's all I've got. Anybody want in on this one? *smile*

Is it a "drought tune"? A "been raining for a week already so just bring it all and get it over with" tune? a "stand up to the wrath of nature" tune? Hmmmmm........

I'll post some of that guitar thing tonight for reference to that mantra-like cadence that I had going on.

*wave*

• Members

I like the rhythm of the words. It sounds like it could be a good hook/chorus.

I would think about changing "I got nothing left to give" unless that turns out to be a key phrase. For now it kinda stands out in a "which of these things is not like the other?" sort of way.

• Members

Yeah....definitely not married to any of those early lyrics....and that one in particular tends to be a bit too cliche right off.

Here's some music. I actually sang that mantra thing in during the guitar tracking thinking that it was just a scratch track....but I like the tone of the guitar so I will be keeping it. That should be interesting.

• Members
Hi Lenny - great to hear some of your stuff again.

The rhythm of those 3 chords with that bit of lyric work perfectly - so keep it coming - whatever you want to write about.

Yes! it's always nice when you show up!

• Members

I just tried to find a common thread to what you have going...please disregard if this is way out of line...

Bring the rain

Bring the rain

Then roll me in the mud

Bring the rain

If that's all you got to give

Then bring it

pause

Bring the flood

Bring the change

Clean me up I want to live (or something else)

Bring the change

Roll me in crimson blood

Bring the change

There is nothing to forgive

Then bring it

pause

Bring the flood

• Members
I just tried to find a common thread to what you have going...please disregard if this is way out of line..

.Bring the change

Clean me up I want to live (or something else)

Bring the change

Roll me in crimson blood

Bring the change

There is nothing to forgive

Then bring it

pause

Bring the flood

I like this a lot.

I do end up writing about change a whole lot so some of this works perfectly as the guts of the second verse. I was already also strongly considering using "blood" in there.....as..."wash me in the blood", even though that does have a slight religious connotation and that is not a direction in which I would generally go.

Maybe.....

Bring the change

'Cause there's nothing to forgive

So bring the rain

And wash me in the blood

Change

That is what we live for (don't much like that)

So bring it

pause

Bring the flood

*THUNDER* (checking the weather outlook for thunder storms)

Instrumental

I just scratched in that second verse......time to get ready for work now.

Hmmmmm....this song may actually be called "Bring The Flood".

• Members

Maybe.....

Bring the change

So bring the rain

And wash me in the blood

Change

That's all we can pray for

So bring it

pause

Bring the flood

*THUNDER* (checking the weather outlook for thunder storms)

Instrumental

I just scratched in that second verse......time to get ready for work now.

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=13121195

Hmmmmm....this song may actually be called "Bring The Flood".

Like it alot..can't wait to hear more. Made a suggestion to the line that your not crazy about.

• Members
Made a suggestion to the line that your not crazy about.

Thanks......but with the line in that position I'm hoping to keep coming back to the "river" lyric in V1. There is going to be a third important verse a little later on where we need to hit on "river/give/forgive" and "mud/blood/flood" again. It may get challenging.

I have some ideas for the refrain that comes after the instrumental.....I'll get into that tonight. I think the refrain will be a pivotal point where the real message comes across and it gets repeated before the end. Of course, I don't quite have that message in sharp focus just yet.....

Hey, Ram!!!!!

• Members

Hey this is very cool, what a great concept. I think it's a great start - I think the challenge will be figuring out where this is going. Bring the rain to do xxxx...and basically xxxx will evolve, adding depth and complexity as you go, revealing more. E.g., you keep washing stuff away until at the end you reveal you're washing away the blood of the unfaithful woman you killed in a rage. Or something like that. That's how I'd do it.

Very cool.

• Members
I think the challenge will be figuring out where this is going

Definitely.

It is beginning to come into focus as a combination of resolute determination in the face of adversity and a bit of equally resolute acceptance of the inevitable....might as well bring the flood.

• Members

So...the refrain.....*smile*

As I sketched in these lyrics I felt the power that comes from the acceptance of one's own mortality....my own mortality. I think that may be a great part of what this song is about.

This link is just the refrain. I am hoping for some comments as to how this message might be improved upon......and then some ideas for the all important third verse.

You can change some

If you light your fire

Or when the rain comes

You can get a little higher

But I hear that thunder

I hear that sound

So I'm going down

To the hallowed ground

Bring the rain

• Members

I think the message is already there Lenny - I think it doesn't need to be clearer (or spelled out).

There is however, a conflict in the physics, so perhaps you might rethink the first half of the refrain

(the rain wants to put out the fire)

You can change some

If you light your fire

Or when the rain comes

But I hear that thunder

I hear that sound

So I'm going down

To the hallowed ground

Bring the rain

• Members

Definitely.

It is beginning to come into focus as a combination of resolute determination in the face of adversity and a bit of equally resolute acceptance of the inevitable....might as well bring the flood.

That sounds great.

• Members
There is however' date=' a conflict in the physics[/quote']

That figures.

Just when I start to feel creative.....I have to deal with physics. Ok, then, how about......

You can change some

If you light your fire

THEN when the rain comes

Hmmmmm.......can't say that I like "then and "when together like that.

• Members

That sounds great.

Thanks.....I am really starting to like this. It really feels good to be working with you folks again. Feels like the old days almost.

So.....another important verse, maybe some subtle change to that refrain so it can be repeated.........then back to the first verse maybe with some sort of vocal over instrumentation to take this thing home.

I want to have the lyrics roughed in for the weekend so I can have some fun with instrumentation.......physics be damned!

*wave*

• Members

Thanks, Lee....and thanks to all of you for helping with this one so far. I sang that last verse in this morning (with a few subtle changes) and then pasted the refrain in where it repeats. I also pasted in the first verse at the end....both of those will be good place keepers now as I work up the instrumentation.

It feels good to work this way again.....I have been tending to go hard on the instrumentation of late and let the lyrics come as the tracking process progresses. This is the first time in a while that I am going into tracking with this much flesh already on the bones.

If anybody has any further ideas for lyrical improvement I'll be checking in as I get into tracking.

*wave*

• Members

So.....I came on to get this one posted but have been listening to other's work instead. There is good music being done here these days.

Anyway, this tune sounds like this:

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=13128518 (3:18)

Bring the rain

Bring the rain

Then roll me in the mud

Bring the rain

If that's all you have to give

Just bring it

Bring the flood

And bring change

Bring the rain

And wash me in the blood