Friday Influences Thread (April 2015)

bee3

• Members

Such a unique voice... and a great song. I saw these guys twice in the past few years. They really are excellent live... and hey, who says you need to have good teeth to make good music?

[video=youtube;KoQy_p3vNb8]

• Moderators

What a year. I've been working very hard to keep my little niche viable at work but... the ax fell last week. So what did I do? I took the wife to Palm Springs to recalibrate. It worked.

Of course, along with 'job search/career adjustment' panic, comes music. It's always there for me.

And working in an ongoing project with the illustrious Mr. Bee, as mixer, I've been listening in a unique way. What mix moves highlight or kill... the groove. Just go searching for different performances AND different mixes of the Mad Dogs and Englishmen take on The Box Tops' The Letter.

First off we have groove machine Leon Russell starting it off on piano. Can't go wrong. Jim Gordon on drums joins in. Holy crap. Groooove. Check out the wide swang of the tambourine as played by drummer Chuck Blackwell. THAT is how you shake a tambourine. Then listen to Bobby Keyes, Jim horn and Jim Price on horns. Groove. Pocket.

And Joe himself. If you know the original, which The Box Tops nail, you'll know that Cocker is remapping the whole melodic rhythm. And it just slides right into his back... pocket.

This is a master study in playing and mixing to the groove.

[video=youtube;Xraj86LNgYc]

• Moderators

Thank you guys! This is one if those "it'll work out better than before" scenarios I suspect. I got almost a half year of full pay and benefits as severance so we're on good terms. Currently investigating leads and reconnecting with previous professional friends and colleagues.

Plus I got a few days in the desert re-centering.

*btw, these recent posts, with their crazy bad spelling and nonsense sentences, since corrected, are not the product of a drunk, down and out, Lee. Rather the thumb fisted keying and bad Siri autocorrecting posting of a distracted Lee at 'dog park'. :)

• Moderators

You are going to bring all of your gathered life wisdom to this change - it's sure to be good.

Thank you sir! This very minute I'm taking a break from a meeting with a friend and prominent San Diego DJ who wants to start up a biz doing turnkey on-hold tele systems. Essentially what I've been doing for 15 years.

Lots of love from all directions. OK... Enough about me! How about FOW?!?!

• Members

Saw Into the Woods last night, which confirmed all my prejudices about Sondheim: dozens of dazzling rhymes, not a single memorable tune.

This was the only vaguely catchy one:

[video=youtube;YmixlJ79ZF0]

I know it's heresy, but most days I'll take Andrew Lloyd Webber.

• Members
Saw Into the Woods last night, which confirmed all my prejudices about Sondheim: dozens of dazzling rhymes, not a single memorable tune.

This was the only vaguely catchy one:

[video=youtube;YmixlJ79ZF0]

I know it's heresy, but most days I'll take Andrew Lloyd Webber.

It's not heresy to point out the obvious flaws in much of Sondheim's tunery. That said, he's a much better tunesmith than Andrew Lloyd Weber, who hasn't written an actual, hummable, unplagiarized tune since "I Don't Know How to Love Him," and that's stretching it.

[video=youtube;lgOWOV3a5tQ]

[video=youtube;noJz7le7LdI]

[video=youtube;u4g3A2Rz26c]

[video=youtube;OIOB-J7heA8]

• Members
That said' date=' he's a much better tunesmith than Andrew Lloyd Weber, who hasn't written an actual, hummable, unplagiarized tune since "I Don't Know How to Love Him," and that's stretching it.[/quote']

So...nothing from Evita, Aspects of Love, Phantom, Sunset Blvd? Nothing? Maybe I just don't know his, um, "sources" well enough. :)

I know what I like to play, though - when no one's around I play the piano and try to sing this:

[video=youtube;NpdXCXTHsDM]

• Members

So...nothing from Evita, Aspects of Love, Phantom, Sunset Blvd? Nothing? Maybe I just don't know his, um, "sources" well enough. :)

I know what I like to play, though - when no one's around I play the piano and try to sing this:

[video=youtube;NpdXCXTHsDM]

I'm not hearing a tune here...

• Members
I caught this on TV yesterday morning. Very interesting. A classically-trained opera singer from North Carolina who sings folk & country, with a twist or two...

(Music starts at :45)

[video=youtube;B8V9DZvFxDU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8V9DZvFxDU

Carolina Chocolate Drops! I didn't know she was doing a solo thing now. That's really cool instrumentation.

Archived