Lee's Incredible Mix

bee3

• Members

So, the inimitable Lee Knight is mixing my album. He has been incredibly patient with me... lots of back and forth and nitpicking, but the results are well worth it. Sharing this because I'm so excited... we finished up work on this mix last night. A preview from my forthcoming album tentatively titled "Skin and Bones".

Adrift

• Members

Wow got some sound that - VERY wide!

If i was to say one thing and it may just be me.

The click click of the bright plectrum strum feels a little interring with the ride cymbal, almost as if they are the same thing.... maybe dial the acoustic back a bit?

Sounds great though!

• Moderators

Hey! Thanks for the kudos Justin!

And Stick, that's funny... I was printing the "last" mix last night and... heard this... acoustic sort of... I swear to you. the funny thing is I didn't play anything just mixing, except an acoustic guitar part to widen Justin original. Yep. I PLAYED THE OFFENDING GUITAR! It's funny that you would hear that. There have been 1001 changes back and forth as Justin mentioned above and almost done and... oops. Good ear Stick. Thanks. Can I kill you now? :) Kidding. I'm going to fix that. You're right.

• Members

This is wonderful, so good. Yeah I hear that acoustic. Vocal is slightly loud for me but that's taste. Also a couple of times it feels like you're singing too perfectly, but maybe I'm mishearing it... "abstract notions strangely in a..." But those are small nits, wow wonderful work both of you!

• Members

Listened on Creative $100.00 desk top speakers and it sounded good...listened on Seinnheiser 380 pro headphones and it sounded great. The wide sound and feel were exceptional...sorta, Emmerson Lake and Palmer...good work guys. The piano and B3 were very well played...The electric guitar was beautiful whoever played it at around the 3:20 mark.

• Members

Lovely listening.

I pricked my ears for the click of the pick that Stick heard, but couldn't hear it anywhere. I guess he can hear dog whistles as well.

The mix sounds great. The only comment I have was that the song seemed to end abruptly without resolution.

• Moderators
Lovely listening.

I pricked my ears for the click of the pick that Stick heard, but couldn't hear it anywhere. I guess he can hear dog whistles as well.

The mix sounds great. The only comment I have was that the song seemed to end abruptly without resolution.

Thanks Phil. As to your last comment, you don't mean kind of like they were adrift or something do you? :)

• Members

This is great. What a cool colab!

Not saying it needs to be different, but in regards to the last comment to Phil... and since my $.02 is free, to me "adrift" makes me think of two rafts floating in different directions. It isn't an abrupt end but something that just sort of happens over time. There is no resolution. It just sort of fades.

• Members

adrift

adverb or adjective \ə-ˈdrift\

of a boat : floating on the water without being tied to anything or controlled by anyone

: without guidance, purpose, or support

: behind by a specified amount in a race, competition, etc.

Full Definition of ADRIFT 1: without motive power and without anchor or mooring

2: without ties, guidance, or security

3: free from restraint or support

• Members

As to your last comment, you don't mean kind of like they were adrift or something do you? :)

Maybe I shouldn't have used the word 'resolution'. I'm not suggesting everything coming together with a big resolving tonic chord or anything.

As it stands, it's just an abrupt ending while the mood of the music as well as the theme 'adrift' feels like some of the instruments should incrementally fall away whilst gradually fading to -dB.

That's my feeling anyhow…….

• Moderators

Maybe I shouldn't have used the word 'resolution'. I'm not suggesting everything coming together with a big resolving tonic chord or anything.

As it stands, it's just an abrupt ending while the mood of the music as well as the theme 'adrift' feels like some of the instruments should incrementally fall away whilst gradually fading to -dB.

That's my feeling anyhow…….

There is one thing I've found when working on other's people's music and being asked to help make some choices... there are a million and one answers to each question. Several thousand of which are the right answer. All simultaneously.

​So while I really do see your point, I don't see it as being more right than the current choice. As I say, sometimes I hear input and I think, "Too RIGHT! Gotta fix that." And other times I just think, yep, that's another great idea. :)

In other words, I hear ya, but I happen to like Justin's choice on that ending and have no personal need to steer too far off the current course.

Another interesting dynamic in assessing these things. As soon as we're put into the role of assessor, we realize all too deeply how everything is just a choice and not an 'inevitable'. When you hear a new record we're inclined to see it as inevitable. But as soon as we are part of the assessment team... everything seems like there's a better choice. Even if it's just one different choice. I always have to ask myself, "But is that alternative really BETTER? Of is it just different. And maybe being justified because of logic?"

• Members

Another thing to consider that hasn't been brought up but might factor into the decision to end it abruptly is if you're thinking in the terms of an album format. How does it fit into the context of other songs. To me that's an extension of putting together a set list for a live show. I realize that most people don't care about albums, but I do, and I know plenty of folks that do as well. To me that's part of the fun. It's another piece of the puzzle. Your vision gets to be larger than the individual song.

• Members

^^^ Good point. I remember hearing Lou Adler talking about taking a couple of weeks to sort out the sequence of songs with Carole King on her Tapestry album. They established a musical mood that flowed through the album by consideration of the chords that had been used in the songs.

• Members

As I say, sometimes I hear input and I think, "Too RIGHT! Gotta fix that." And other times I just think, yep, that's another great idea.

I agree - you can't tumble with every wind that blows past your door……..Sometimes input resonates and other times you know when you know when you know.

Archived