Friday Influences Thread 03-27-15

Lee Knight

• Moderators

Good morning, afternoon and evening!

I've already posted the Dawes a few times but... but... driving home from work yesterday and Just My Luck comes on while listening to Stories Don't End, their fantastic 3rd (?) album and it just hits me right. The double entendre Just My Luck. As in, "it wasn't the fact that XXX XXX XXX, happened, it was "just my luck". and then The colloquialism, "just my luck". subtle distinctions but nicely crafted in this lyric. Anyhoo, this is a freaking great song that k. d. lang or Elvis Costello or any new young indie folk/pop, label backed, pretty chanteuse might use as her launchpad. It's one of them portable tunes.

Taylor Goldsmith is day by day proving to be a talent for our future. He appears to have respect for old school skillz. yo

[video=youtube;yodHQZuKHLs]

Just my luck you'd walk into this party

Just my luck you'd show up with my friends

It's not the words that they reduce me to or where your life is leading to

It's the same reason that it always has been

It's just my luck

Just my luck I never said I loved you

Just my luck it completely slipped my mind

It's not my colder-hearted tendencies that keeps you from being here with me

Or the universe's brilliant designs

It's just my luck

I spend my whole life moving forwards but understand it looking back

Like watching last night's tapes in the middle of a game

I should know how this thing works now, I should accept it as a fact

That there's really nothing out there I can blame

Just my luck this goodbye could get so casual

Just my luck I still talk like I got a chance

It's not because I do not clearly see that you are finally done with me

No I figured that out long in advance

It's not because I don't know this dance

This has happened enough times for us to see

It's not because you're not meant for me

It's just my luck

• Moderators

And another thing! On my travels last week I listened to a lot of Sirius Radio "Coffee House". Something on their playlist that appeared a few times was that dude from Men At Work. Colin Hay? Acoustic solo. I mean, at the time I liked Men At Work just fine but never really took notice further than, "cool tunes, sounds like Sting, nice genre hybriding for a hit sound, blah blah blah. the radio quickly robbed me of my interest.

so, I never really realized what a good tune this was...

[video=youtube;6XUeB3eO9qU]

• Members

that's funny. And hey.. did you win or lose at poker? did you know when to fold them? Know when to drink Scotch, know when to walk away? Know when to trip and fall?

I took a horrible beat... I put a guy all in on the turn when it showed 2, 4, 6, Q. I had the Q... he had a 6. He called and got a 2 on the river. That left me short stacked... I built back up a bit, but was still short stacked. I put a guy all in pre-flop when I had AJ spades. He had raised minimally and I figured, what the hell... he ended up having AK... two pair came down after that... we would have split the pot... BUT... four of the cards that came down were clubs and he had the K of clubs. For a flush. And this guy had no idea what he was doing... he really burned a good player a couple hands beforehand making an incredibly stupid call... but lucked out on the river. I thought the good player dude was going to punch him. It was tense.

• Moderators

Good stuff. "the one about how cowboys jack off all the time?"

I love the dead quality of his slide guitar here. I've been sort of done with that Phosphor Bronze standard guitar string sound. Really un-usable until they're broken in. So I did some research and found Martin Silk and Steel Lights recommended for guys in my position of being burnt on the bright sound EVERYBODY seems to use.

I dig them with a ferocity. So anyone looking to try something different on their acoustic, try the Silk and Steel. Not as dead as the slide here but in a couple months? And right out of the box they're perfect and fun to play. I don't think I've ever been able to say that prior.

Sorry for the diversion. Very cool track and artist, Rhino.

• Members

The Fifth Dimension were ubiquitous on AM radio. (They still are on oldies stations.) And they certainly helped line the pockets of a few great songwriters.

Burt Bacharach and Hal David.

[video=youtube;pjW_z02EjaA]

Laura Nyro.

[video=youtube;jcARWyQjOZc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcARWyQjOZc

Jimmy Webb (their first hit, in 1967!)

[video=youtube;sQVLsvZcr34]

• Moderators

Reeder has some really funny tunes. Some are really crass, but I like to think there is a certain elegance to his crassness.

I thought there was a coolness to it. Funny but not ick. Not like watching Horrible Bosses 2 or something. I don't get offended as much as let down by the lack of imagination as in HB2. I love over the top crass with ingenuity and brains. Reeder seems cool

• Members

'Food and P*ssy is another one you'll want to check out then. I didn't post it, because I think the idea is supposed to be this is a family friendly site or something, but it's good too.

He also does some tunes that are just one thing over and over with lots of his harmonies and hand claps. 'Work Song' comes to mind.

I got all the f*cking work I need

I got all

All the f*cking work I need

• Members
And another thing! On my travels last week I listened to a lot of Sirius Radio "Coffee House". Something on their playlist that appeared a few times was that dude from Men At Work. Colin Hay? Acoustic solo. I mean, at the time I liked Men At Work just fine but never really took notice further than, "cool tunes, sounds like Sting, nice genre hybriding for a hit sound, blah blah blah. the radio quickly robbed me of my interest.

[video=youtube;6XUeB3eO9qU]

This Colin Hay song was on the "Garden State" soundtrack. I think that it is one of the saddest songs I know. I moved me to buy a solo Colin Hay cd that has a number of those Men At Work tunes on it, as well as others. It does let the songs stand on their own and many of them are quite good.

• Members

John Renbourn died a few days ago.

He turned my head in the early 70's and although I have never been able to play like him, his musical sensibilities have seeped into my bones.

He composed his own works, but also did interpretations of traditional works. Here is an example:

[video=youtube;LJNbyQEG_1M]

• Members

My friend loves this guy's solo stuff, turned me on to this track:

"I Wish I Was Still Drinking"

I wish I was still drinking whiskey, wine and beer

The sound of glasses clinking, so sweet to my ear

I wouldn't have to listen to the time that's running out

I'd use it much more wisely, I'd drink and fall about

I wish I was still drinking, then I'd have no fear

I'd tell you how to fix the world then have another beer

I wouldn't have to feel the pain that's in a mother's eyes

I'd drink 'til I believed the sound, of my own drunken lies

I wish I was still drinking, when nothing is too clear

Like the TV evangelist, fuelling peoples fear

Taking all their hard earned cash in the name of the Holy One

Their days are surely numbered, their day will surely come

I wish I was still drinking, I was a lot more fun

Life of the endless party, friends with anyone

I wouldn't have to answer for the promises I broke

Like the President today, or when he drank and snorted coke

I wish I was still drinking, then I wouldn't have to hear

The sound of rapid gunfire, exploding in my ear,

I'd drink through the nightmares of friends crying out for help

I'd drink through everything I've seen or heard of felt

I wish I was still drinking, no I really, really do

I'd gather all my fair-weather friends like him and her and you

I'd count all the missing teeth, that can no longer chew

I'd even drive my old white car, 'cause she likes drinking too

I wish I was still drinking whiskey, wine and beer

The sound of glasses clinking, so sweet to my ear

I wouldn't have to listen to the time that's running out

I'd use it much more wisely, I'd drink and fall about

• Moderators

A younger guy walks up to me at work just now, very excitedand says, "LEE! YOU EVER HEAR OF BAD RELIGION?!?!!?" froth froth froth. why yes I have. smile.png DUDE!!!!! THEY'RE... AWESOME!!!!!" why yes they are. YEAH! YOU DIG'EM TOO?!?! GREG GAAAFFF-something, THE SINGER?!?!? HE'S LIKE... SOOOOOO AWESOME!!!!! HE'S LIKE A SCIENTIST OR SOMETHING? AWESOMEAWESOMEAWESOME!"

All this while I'm waiting for the Keurig. This is a hell of a lot more fun than hearing how divine Dowton Abbey was last night or why George Bush is actually Jesus or something. Yeah Bad Religion dude. I dig them. Great party music that makes you stop and say, "What did he just sing there? DUDE THAT'S AWESOME.

They're awesome

[video=youtube;6m9bEMejTKI]

• Moderators

Someone's gotta help me dig... or

We should let this dead guy sleep.

I love this guy. I was driving late one night and there was some sort of Prairie Home Companion skit show on the radio. Two actors were just killing me. Very funny and sharp. And then one starts singing this. And it is indeed Father John Misty. I love this tune and I love his effed up sensibility. And solo? the song works just fine sans the hip guitars etc.

[video=youtube;ooAqS_XBkpA]

Archived