Friday Influences Thread 03-13-15!!!

Lee Knight

• Moderators

Friday the 13th? Reading Gladwell's David and Goliath reminds us of what a kick in the ass adversity can be. How acheivers typically don't come from wealth and privilege but more frequently from one parent, low income, dyslexic friction. From adversity!

So dig the adversity and shine like the champion you are! Yay you!

_______

The wife came to me and asked, "Heard Cat Edmonson yet?!?!?" The first ting that came to mind was not that Blue had turned us all on to her a while back, but rather that I'd need to be cool and not let on about my sex fantasies with the aformentioned pixie godess. Best not to share with the wife. And hey, it's a personal taste issue so just leave it. Reminds me of an old flame. The third thing that came to mind was how really good she is.

Here she is in modern stripped down pop mode a la Jason Mraz et al. I love it. Jazz Singer Cat Edmonson: coming to the attention of your wives, husbands or sig others via the mainstream. Pretty great.

So cast your troubles into the sky

They can be the stars in our eyes

And we can count them on another day

From far away

Life is just a dream

Lucky you

Lucky lucky me

[video=youtube;68xjjR5ztoQ]

• Members

Been thinking about the Blurred Lines copyright decision. Not fond of the rapey lyric, but I think this is a dangerous legal precedent to set:

http://grantland.com/hollywood-prospectus/know-your-7-4-million-beef-robin-thicke-pharrell-and-blurred-lines-vs-the-estate-of-marvin-gaye/

Robin Thicke's lawyer should never have allowed this to happen:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/sites/default/files/custom/Documents/ESQ/robinthickedepo.pdf

My mashup:

• Members
Friday the 13th? Reading Gladwell's David and Goliath reminds us of what a kick in the ass adversity can be. How acheivers typically don't come from wealth and privilege but more frequently from one parent, low income, dyslexic friction. From adversity!

So dig the adversity and shine like the champion you are! Yay you!

_______

The wife came to me and asked, "Heard Cat Edmonson yet?!?!?" The first ting that came to mind was not that Blue had turned us all on to her a while back, but rather that I'd need to be cool and not let on about my sex fantasies with the aformentioned pixie godess.

The pianos!

The city did this the summer before last (I think) where they set up pianos all over New York.

• Moderators
Been thinking about the Blurred Lines copyright decision. Not fond of the rapey lyric, but I think this is a dangerous legal precedent to set:

http://grantland.com/hollywood-prospectus/know-your-7-4-million-beef-robin-thicke-pharrell-and-blurred-lines-vs-the-estate-of-marvin-gaye/

Robin Thicke's lawyer should never have allowed this to happen:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/sites/default/files/custom/Documents/ESQ/robinthickedepo.pdf

My mashup:

I didn't read the attached articles but I have been following this a bit and I think they got it wrong. The two songs are indeed two different songs. It's like politicians weighing in on climate change. No expertise in the field what-so-ever yet boldly (and stupidly) making decisions on the matter.

• Members

I think they got it wrong. The two songs are indeed two different songs.

I haven't listened to them. But unless there's a specific spot in the song where the notes in the melody are exactly the same they could win on appeal.

Now this song was really outright plagiarized by Jimmy Page.

[video=youtube;P1g7qFaWaLk]

And the chorus of this one was also a definite case of plagiarism by the composer of "Hello Dolly," even though he only copied 8 notes.

[video=youtube;L75b45S1V10]

• Members

I haven't listened to them. But unless there's a specific spot in the song where the notes in the melody are exactly the same they could win on appeal.

Now this song was really outright plagiarized by Jimmy Page.

[video=youtube;P1g7qFaWaLk]

And the chorus of this one was also a definite case of plagiarism by the composer of "Hello Dolly," even though he only copied 6 notes.

[video=youtube;L75b45S1V10]

• Members

We are organic food nutters so we go to a local farmers market every week to buy all our produce.

There are always 2 or 3 buskers scattered around the place, and sometimes there's a guy playing a Chapman Stick.

I had never seen or heard one until then. I think they are amazing instruments.

They are played by fret tapping.

Here's an example:

[video=youtube;dYKB6Lag-wg]

It still blows me away that George was only 25 when he wrote this song.

• Members
We are organic food nutters so we go to a local farmers market every week to buy all our produce.

There are always 2 or 3 buskers scattered around the place, and sometimes there's a guy playing a Chapman Stick.

It still blows me away that George was only 25 when he wrote this song.

Beautiful.

• Members

A bare-bones version of "Classical Gas" by Mason Williams, who was a guitarist, composer, and comedy writer for the Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour in the late 1960s, and, later, for Saturday Night Live.

The tune was a radio hit in 1968, with string orchestra, horns, etc.

[video=youtube;JeHgNqbdBKs]

• Members
Nice song... nice harmonies... nice uh... nevermind.

[video=youtube;n1fY-23ffl0]

I love this guy's voice...

From the duo's website: NPR called the album "effortless and beautiful," naming it one of the year's best

That describes them all right, "effortless and beautiful..."

Very nice pick, Bee.

Archived