Cold Cold Heart - New recording + arrangement in #56

mbfrancis

• Members

Hey after 3 months off here's the first thing I have. Sorry I've been a bit dark and not commenting as much...been slammed with work.

This is a little all over the place lyrically and musically, but I'm hoping you can help with a gut check. Does it suck? Are the lyrics too generic (all tell no show)? Arrangement is super rough, more to get an idea of the vibe, and I'm not sold on the back half of the chorus, which feels like a different song.

Any input appreciated.

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=13067402 [delay removed] -

"Cold, Cold Heart"

Please don’t say your love is true

Please stop hanging ‘round and telling me what to do

Please stop lying to my face

Don’t go telling me I haven’t been replaced

Please stop chewing on your thumb

Please don’t look at me like I’m the crazy one

and please stop picking up the phone

every time I call

each time I feel alone

Chorus

And Iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii’m waking up in bed with shakes again

Cause Iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii’m making all the same mistakes again

cause you know it’s hard

to stay on guard

fighting off a cold, cold heart

a cold, cold heart

why can’t I learn

I always burn

Trying to warm a cold, cold heart

a cold, cold heart

EDIT: new mix here

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think it's pretty good. I didn't get "Don't go telling me I haven't been replaced" at first, but I do now. That line and "please stop picking up the phone" are very good. I would say you need to add more of that, but I think if you did they would loose their impact. But to me that's the heart of the song.

• Members
I think it's pretty good. I didn't get "Don't go telling me I haven't been replaced" at first' date=' but I do now. That line and "please stop picking up the phone" are very good. I would say you need to add more of that, but I think if you did they would loose their impact. But to me that's the heart of the song. [/quote']

Yeah, it's not the most reliable narrator, hopefully not too confusing.

• Members

Cold cold heart if a very famous country song by Hank Williams...Norah Jones does a nice cover on her hit album...might want to re-think that title...the delay was distracting. The rest is ok for me... some tweaks needed.

• Members

When I saw the title, I thought it might be a homage to hank williams or his song in some sort of way.

Musically the chorus hardly differs from the verse in both rhythm and melody. with the exception of the lift on 'iiiiiiiiim' the vocal range sounds much the same.

You usually post extremely competent pieces, but I think this is a bit below your own standard.

But we can't get them all right all the time can we?……...very-happy.png.197c47f720636f02390cc2b0a33804da.png' alt='smiley-veryhappy'>

• Members
Musically the chorus hardly differs from the verse in both rhythm and melody. with the exception of the lift on 'iiiiiiiiim' the vocal range sounds much the same.

Actually, my assignment on this was to try to write a one-note melody. I was inspired by this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yDP9MKVhZc. I guess I didn't pull it off, ha.

• Members
Just listened, and I think this is terrific. I wanted to hear more. A lot more. It's great.

Just change the title, and give us more of the story.

Thanks LCK, won't jump off the building now. :) Chorus needs some love, agreed, and story needs some detail.

• Members
I don't know what you mean by the "chorus needs some love."

It sounds good to me.

Well if I have to change the title, it needs *some* work. Also, I'm not 100% into it at "you know it's hard." Might be chords or lyric...dunno.

• Members

Well if I have to change the title, it needs *some* work. Also, I'm not 100% into it at "you know it's hard." Might be chords or lyric...dunno.

Well, I like it. If you can make it better, good! Do it. But I have no suggestions.

• Members
Some options would be replacing a word so, "cold cold xxx" or "cold xxx heart."

Or it could be "my cold cold heart," so, "Fighting off my cold cold heart."

"Trying to Warm a Cold, Cold Heart."

• Members

Tweaked lyric, I'll record this tonight:

"My Cold, Cold Heart"

Please don’t say your love is true

Please stop hanging ‘round and telling me what to do

Please stop lying to my face

Don’t go telling me I haven’t been replaced

No, please don't bite your tongue

Please don’t look at me like I’m the crazy one

and please stop picking up the phone

every time I call

each time I feel alone

Chorus

And Iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii - I’m waking up alone with shakes again

Cause Iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii - I’m making all the same mistakes again

cause you know it’s hard

to stay on guard

fighting off a cold, cold heart

my cold, cold heart

why can’t I learn

I always burn

Trying to warm a cold, cold heart

my cold, cold heart

• Members

There's a very good song here. I'll just throw out the kind of stuff I'd try for better or worse:

1 - on the first section - I guess it's a "verse" I'd try a four on the floor pulse or kick . Not big and loud, but just pumping away.

2 - for some reason I really want to hear a wah-wah electric on this. A bit funky, but not too out front. A few trebly syncopated chunka-chunkas, a few little lead bits here and there. Something Al Green might do.

3 - and for a crazy change of pace, a harpsichord might work in that verse section. Faux-baroque, you know the drill.

4 - you could work up "cold, cold heart " by repeating it a few times, bringing up the volume and the intensity, then hit the big drum kit, boom...pop.....boom...popop....boom....pop and bring in harmonies and rock out a bit.

5 - The nice peg-legged rhythmic thing you have here I think is a big part of the appeal. Bring that out somehow with stabs and syncopations, etc. Maybe some handclaps.

Fun tune, some great lines - inspiring.

nat whilk ii

• Members

Thanks, Nat - some great ideas. I hear some subtle wah too, hard to pull off tastefully. Four on the floor would be sweet...I've been thinking of this bit more a a trip hoppy thing, more electronic, and then the chorus (Iiiiiiiiiiiii) goes organic. Harpsichord, hmmm - I've been messing with string quartet, similar vibe.

What's peg-leg rhythm, sounds cool, ha.

• Members
I'm sorry. The original was "please stop chewing on your thumb..." Even though it kinda comes out of nowhere' date=' I think it's a fabulous, one-of-a-kind line.[/quote']

That line came on and my daughter (13) looked at me and said "what the fudge?" I should have the courage of my original convictions, ha. I have options for that line, which all fit nicely:

Please stop chewing on your thumb (original)

Please stop biting on your thumb

Please stop biting on your tongue

Please don't bite your tongue (current)

Archived