Friday Influences Thread 02-20-15

Lee Knight

• Moderators

Hello... is... there... anybody out t h e r e ?

I've been busy and I assume you have too. That's good! Maybe bad for the forum but, hey. Life. It's fer livin'.

Charlie Haden and Pat Metheny with Oh Shenandoah. I've posted this before but it is so good and I was just listening to it in bed last night after a night in the studio. The chord substitution is so non-conventional yet so right, it sounds conventional. Think of what might be strummed on an acoustic guitar for this tune. Then listen to Metheny.

And clearly Haden is (self admittedly) no singer, and yet, a more sincere and heartfelt performance would be hard to find. This arrangement and performance, to me, is perfect. Oh.. and that Dobro? Hello? Angels're weepin'.

[video=youtube;t4k_InRXP-g]

• Members

I've been busy and I assume you have too. That's good! Maybe bad for the forum but, hey. Life. It's fer livin'.

Charlie Haden and Pat Metheny with Oh Shenandoah. I've posted this before but it is so good and I was just listening to it in bed last night after a night in the studio. The chord substitution is so non-conventional yet so right, it sounds conventional. Think of what might be strummed on an acoustic guitar for this tune. Then listen to Metheny.

And clearly Haden is (self admittedly) no singer, and yet, a more sincere and heartfelt performance would be hard to find. This arrangement and performance, to me, is perfect. Oh.. and that Dobro? Hello? Angels're weepin'.

[video=youtube;t4k_InRXP-g]

I've never heard this - what album is it on? I have Beyond The Missouri Sky with those two, but it's not on there.

Haden was born in Shenandoah, Iowa and grew up in Missouri. Metheny also grew up in Missouri. Add to this the fact that Haden had a form of polio that basically rendered him unable to sing at a very young age....but here he is singing in his old age.

And now he's gone "away" - crossed a river....all together this makes for a really poignant piece of music.

nat whilk ii

• Moderators

I've never heard this - what album is it on? I have Beyond The Missouri Sky with those two, but it's not on there.

Haden was born in Shenandoah, Iowa and grew up in Missouri. Metheny also grew up in Missouri. Add to this the fact that Haden had a form of polio that basically rendered him unable to sing at a very young age....but here he is singing in his old age.

And now he's gone "away" - crossed a river....all together this makes for a really poignant piece of music.

nat whilk ii

[h=1]Charlie Haden Family & Friends: Rambling Boy[/h]

• Members

Took a music break starting in December to focus on some major work projects, which paid off well. Now I don't know how or where to start up again. Hope all are well.

• Members

Start with the C Major and just start throwing in some 7ths and stuff - You'll be fine.

;)

Ha...actually the first chord I play when I try out a new synth patch is an Fmaj7. Then I play Fmaj7 - Em7 - Fmaj7 - G7sus4 over and over on different pad sounds, and the whole evening has gone by...

• Members

The Band Perry shows us again what a great song "Gentle on My Mind" is.

The music starts at about 1:14...

[video=youtube;BuVJEn9wk9Y]

The original by John Hartford.

[video=youtube;LGs1IUS7ugg]

The Mavericks.

[video=youtube;sSoSuGZzePE]

The Tim O'Brien Band.

[video=youtube;JzWoagZ53_Q]

Aretha.

[video=youtube;2xvEmxDZLec]

• Members
The Band Perry shows us again what a great song "Gentle on My Mind" is.

The music starts at about 1:14...

[video=youtube;BuVJEn9wk9Y]

The original by John Hartford.

[video=youtube;LGs1IUS7ugg]

If I'm driving on a road trip and the Band Perry version came on the radio, I'd certainly turn it up and listen.

But I just listened to the original by John Hartford on headphones and the subtle dual guitar work is terrific.

The Band Perry version is classic Americana vibe, but the Hartford version has that extra something IMO.

• Members

Well... I listened. The Ronson imprimatur got me to listen. It seemed pretty straight down the middle, cut-n-paste by-the-numbers. A massive string of cliches from the last 3-1/2 decades.*

No wonder it's a hit.

[video=youtube;OPf0YbXqDm0]

*Make that 4-1/2 decades. The 'ooooh!' interjections are right out of Dr. John's "Right Place, Wrong Time."

• Members

If I'm driving on a road trip and the Band Perry version came on the radio, I'd certainly turn it up and listen.

But I just listened to the original by John Hartford on headphones and the subtle dual guitar work is terrific.

The Band Perry version is classic Americana vibe, but the Hartford version has that extra something IMO.

I hear no bittersweet in the Band Perry version. Which is what I thought the song is all about. The one haven for some driven soul on the run for reasons unstated.

nat whilk ii

• Members

For sparkling acoustic Americana I have always loved this little track. I have a couple of gripes - the strings could go IMHO, and the song feels incomplete lyrically. But in spite of all that, it still puts me in a strong zone.

The story goes that: Dylan wrote the following lyrics on a napkin and told Fonda “Give this to McGuinn.”

The river flows, it flows to the sea/Wherever that river goes, that’s where I want to be/Flow, river, flow

McGuinn then used those lyrics to form the basis of “The Ballad of Easy Rider"

[video=youtube_share;r8jC1lRZGTU]

nat whilk ii

• Members
Well, I was waiting to post this till tomorrow, but it seems timely now...

[video=youtube;rjRlJvOxIY0]

Oh, my! That was brilliant!

I actually kind of liked "Uptown Funk" the first time I heard it. But I listened to it again as I was posting above and it kind of hit me as pretty forced (all the contemporary top-o-pops synth cliches).

But, stripped of those cliches, I have to say I was nothing but charmed by the geriatric cover version. thumb_zps456fc56e.gif

• Members

Blue, I agree that the song is full of cliches, but I can't help but like it. Grant it, I'm not normally listening to whatever radio station this kind of thing is likely to come on, so the only time I'll hear it is when a band I play with decides to cover it or if I happen to be in a bar and it's played. If I heard it more than that, I think I'd get sick of it. As it is, it's fun to play along with, dance to, or whatever. I tend to think of it as an homage. Hopefully, the folks that are hearing this and have never heard the tunes it's homaging/ripping off will work back in time and find out where it's coming from.

Archived