Depressing song blah!

mhal73

• Members

I've been playing guitar for about two years now. I really want to put together a song of my own to branch away from cover songs. I've read a bunch of posts about keeping a pad of paper with you at all time to write your thoughts down. I've been doing that and just find that most of the things that I put on paper sound a bit depressing. Does any one else seem to run into this problem? I don't want that typical " You broke my heart blah blah blah ". Maybe I'm just trying to hard to write the perfect song?

What do you do when writing lyrics....listen to music,sit in the dark, etc? just curious

• Members

A lot of times I'll hear or read or see something, just through the normal course of my day, and it will spark an idea for a song.

For example, I posted some lyrics a while back that started . . .

"Something in that last breath,

tasted like a cigarette . . . "

This is going to sound dumb, but I was eating a black bean burrito and for some reason, while chewing and breathing, I got the taste of a cigarette in my mouth. Hence, the first line, which then developed into an entire song that was based on an experience of mine.

Today in Newsweek, I read a quote by a college freshman stating, "the sidewalks look like catwalks" when describing fashion at her university. I thought that would be a great line in a song about vanity or life in LA or something along those lines.

Point being, inspiration can come from anywhere.

• Members

Originally posted by ChiGirl

A lot of times I'll hear or read or see something, just through the normal course of my day, and it will spark an idea for a song.

For example, I posted some lyrics a while back that started . . .

"Something in that last breath,

tasted like a cigarette . . . "

This is going to sound dumb, but I was eating a black bean burrito and for some reason, while chewing and breathing, I got the taste of a cigarette in my mouth. Hence, the first line, which then developed into an entire song that was based on an experience of mine.

I just posted something similar. I used to just make rhymes out of day to day things I am DOING as opposed to THINKING, the trick being not to force the muse to your idea, but to listen and follow. When I try to force it I can get awfully pedantic.

I like that you're trying to get away from the "Poor me, I got my heart broken..." Maybe when you are having a good time get that rhyming going and take it home and play/work with it.

• Members

something i've tried recently is Spont Prose - basically you write down the first things that come into your head for as long as you want - some of it ends up being total nonsense but sometimes you can get something good out of it, be it a line or a whole verse... but it doesn't have to rhyme or have any real structure so you can just concentrate on subject then work with the good stuff you got... doesn't work for everyone though

i tend to write more about feelings anyway, usually after something has made me angry or sad - i can't help you with writing happier lyrics! i'm depressing too hehe :p but maybe the spontaneous writing could help you a little, it's just a suggestion :)

Archived