Friday Influences Thread 01-09-15!

rsadasiv

• Members

WELCOME TO 2015!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lurkers - get out of the shadows and come into the light. Share your influences, post a comment, or just gaze in wonder at Lee's new studio acoustic treatment.

fetch?filedataid=105916

• Members

I've been deep into Zeppelin for the past week or so. Working on my Bonzo midi programming and thinking about ordering a Faux Tape Echo pedal.

[video=youtube;qoqQnR8NOVI]

[video=youtube;BBwO_l_dSgY]

[video=youtube;o7pOpokFYgk]

[video=youtube;Fgm7F30EN50]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fgm7F30EN50

[video=youtube;mcb0VrB2Jbw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcb0VrB2Jbw

[video=youtube;fwIY46vuENQ]

Spotify playlist:

Zep

This way lies madness....

• Members

Train...Soul Sister. Blew me away first time I heard it...what a vocalist! I looked at some of the comments and they thought he was flat or off, but damn I would like to see them sing like that. Like that Uke too...

• Members

The two Sia tracks are new to me - great voice, really grabs attention, at least my attention. Both tracks IMHO are awfully overproduced and the producer should have his strings taken away for a while and find some other shmaltz-free way to fill out big sections.

Is this girl a big deal in the commercial music world??

nat whilk ii

• Members

Steve Miller before "Steve Miller" - and McCartney

Steve Miller's big rise to fame happened around '73, which is when I pretty much stopped following his output. The late 60s earlier stuff is a lot ballsier, bluesier, more varied and experimental, just all round better IMHO -

a bluesy one, lotsa Chicago via Texas in this....

Going To Mexico

[video=youtube_share;b8lXnWEU71o]

some real deal hippy music - Beck has borrowed from this one many a time (note Mr Scaggs 2nd from the left):

Quicksilver Girl

[video=youtube_share;Zoroo4NU4YA]

and this one came out before Woodstock I believe - shades of Pink Floyd and Santana (Abraxas was still a couple of years away)

Song For Our Ancestors (skip to about 1min 30sec in to pass by the ambient stuff with foghorns, etc

[video=youtube_share;WvJmjdVD69U]http://youtu.be/WvJmjdVD69U

and here, McCartney sneaks into the harmonies and plays bass, credited as "Paul Ramon", on this really rockin' track, My Dark Hour

[video=youtube_share;WPf52CpD7JQ]

I've always admired Miller's voice - the first time I heard this 1997 collaboration with McCartney, whose voice is of course godlike, I was floored by how much more soulful Miller sounds when he covers his verses in this, compared to McCartney's verses -

[video=youtube_share;elAVL1myKFA]

nat whilk ii

• Moderators
The two Sia tracks are new to me - great voice' date=' really grabs attention, at least my attention. Both tracks IMHO are awfully overproduced and the producer should have his strings taken away for a while and find some other shmaltz-free way to fill out big sections. Is this girl a big deal in the commercial music world?? nat whilk ii [/quote'] Yeah lately she's been a pretty big deal. She's written hits for all the modern female singers love to hate. Katy Perry, Britney Spears, Beyoncé, Christina Aguilera. Lots more too. There is certainly a lot to not like about her I suppose. Here's her big smash recent big deal hit. You may have heard this. Astute critics will point out that she writes with the formula for sure. Big huge hooks. The lyrics can make you cringe at times but I sort of like what she does in that department too. She seems to have an inversion to annunciation for sure. But that has grown on me as well.

• Members
There are some great Steve Miller stories in the new Glyn Johns autobiography.

I have family in the Puget Sound area, near where Miller had or maybe still has a residence for some years. Anecdotes abound in the local community regarding Miller's highly curmudgeony ways. Could be just sour grapes...rich guy appropriates some of the primo island property but doesn't mix with the locals, that sort of thing. Or not.

nat whilk ii

• Members

I guess we don't really count our influences when we are young, but I can see now that Phil Ochs influenced me to the point that I used to cover 2 of his songs in the late 60's.

One of them was 'Chords of Fame' but it wasn't until I heard Melanie Safka cover it in the early 70's that I totally loved the song.

I still think it's a really good song.

Here she is…….

[video=youtube;zwnGOQLHA60]

I found him by the stage last night

He was breathing his last breath

A bottle of gin and a cigarette

Was all that he had left

I can see you make the music

'Cause you carry a guitar

But God, help the troubadour

Who tries to be a star

So play the chords of love, my friend

Play the chords of pain

If you want to keep your song

Don't, don't, don't, don't play the chords of fame

I've seen my share of hustlers

As they try to take the world

When they find their melody

They're surrounded by the girls

But it all fades so quickly

Like a sunny summer day

Reporters ask you questions

They write down what you say

Play the chords of pain

They will rob you of your innocence

They will put you up for sale

More that you will find success

The more that you will fail

I've been around, I've had my share

And I really can't complain

But I wonder who I left behind

The other side of fame

Play the chords of pain

[video=youtube;kKIXd8eZCDk]

This is Phil Ochs and John Lennon hanging out together

• Members

This is sort of, I don't know what to call it....easy listening or something at first blush, but it hits home with me anyway, seems to dig deeper than the material usually tagged as such. Yeah, I'm a Norah Jones fan too, I confess.

I also seem to get a lot more singing inspiration from female singers than I do from male singers. Especially from subtle types like Corinne here. Y'all have heard my vocal style....but I need write something for falsetto as that's my go-to sing-around-the-house voice.

[video=youtube_share;iiSQ8QCeM-A]

nat whilk ii

• Members
This is sort of, I don't know what to call it....easy listening or something at first blush, but it hits home with me anyway, seems to dig deeper than the material usually tagged as such. Yeah, I'm a Norah Jones fan too, I confess.

I also seem to get a lot more singing inspiration from female singers than I do from male singers. Especially from subtle types like Corinne here. Y'all have heard my vocal style....but I need write something for falsetto as that's my go-to sing-around-the-house voice.

[video=youtube_share;iiSQ8QCeM-A]

nat whilk ii

That was beautiful...

• Members

Quicksilver Girl

[video=youtube_share;Zoroo4NU4YA]

nat whilk ii

This ^ leaves me cold. Sorry.

Personally, I find "Space Cowboy" to be full of fun guitar licks, flights of fancy, and a killer bass track. Yes, he was a hit-making machine in the 1970s. But talk about great driving with the top-down, AM radio music, this is it.

[video=youtube;DzSC2__LXk4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzSC2__LXk4

[video=youtube;7QyoRzZrF00]

As for Boz Scaggs, this 12 minute+ track (with Duane Allman) is quite tasty.

[video=youtube;oTFvAvsHC_Y]

• Members

This ^ leaves me cold. Sorry.

Personally, I find "Space Cowboy" to be full of fun guitar licks, flights of fancy, and a killer bass track. Yes, he was a hit-making machine in the 1970s. But talk about great driving with the top-down, AM radio music, this is it.

Just to nit-pick like Jack Black in High Fidelity...Space Cowboy was 1969, a track on the Brave New World album. Maybe you meant The Joker?

I have to agree that Quicksilver Girl is not much of a song, especially with regard to lyrics. It's more interesting as an artifact and influence - that's more the reason I put it up - it's pretty evocative of San Francisco rock at the height of hippiedom. I played it for my son some years back, saying, "hey, tell me who this sounds like" and about a minute in he said "OH...BECK!!! Beck stole that!" and he was somewhat crestfallen, albeit temporarily.

Abacadabra - I guess I come from the generation that felt like rock music came into it's own when it shook off the bubble-gum tendencies of the mid-sixties and got all serious and pretentious in the late 60s. So this return to light confectionary-type music just really got on my nerves back in the day. Yeah, it's a slick bit of pop, I can hear that now. Part of me still cringes, 'tho.smiley-happy

here's one more from the old Miller catalogue - he also had a number of Hey Jude/Let It Be-type ballads. This one I still think holds up pretty well. He's no Shakespeare, no, but a great voice and always instrumentally assured. A lot in common with McCartney. They should have formed a band!

Seasons

[video=youtube_share;7L3hkBYPtuw]

nat whilk ii

Archived