How Many Songs Will You Write in 2015?

nat whilk II

• Members

Not as a resolution or some artificial goal to hopefully make it happen, but reasonably, honestly, probably....how many?

Twelve? Two? Twenty-four? 365?

If I keep going like I've been going, I'm guessing I'll write between twelve and twenty. So I'll go with sixteen to split the difference.

But I don't have song one yet for this year...

nat whilk ii

• Members

If I look sideways and approximately at my track record, then………..

12 lyrics to workshop and complete

12 lyrics that I don't like enough to workshop

12 titles with one verse and one chorus

30 lonesome titles waiting for Godot

A file full of shy musical snippets waiting to be introduced to the above

• Members
If I look sideways and approximately at my track record, then………..

12 lyrics to workshop and complete

12 lyrics that I don't like enough to workshop

12 titles with one verse and one chorus

30 lonesome titles waiting for Godot

A file full of shy musical snippets waiting to be introduced to the above

This is more like the way it really is - "songs written" for me means complete enough to play for someone as "here's a new one". But besides the songs that reach that stage, I've uncounted ideas, quick sketches, progressions with no words, lyric scribbles, titles, songs shelved for reworking, melodies I wake up with in my head, songs to finally give up on, and most ephemeral of all, a zoo of moods all begging to be "songed".

A list of those moods -

> slowly warming with love for someone you've just been sitting with in the same room for a long time, not talking, just being together

> hating yourself for feeling intimidated going into a bank to ask for a loan

> suddenly remembering a detail from childhood that had been forgotten for decades, just appearing without notice or prompt, vivid and full of meaning you can't define

> how you felt the first time you felt good-looking (whether true or not)

> realizing that someone (besides your mother) that you have overlooked and taken for granted, loves you with a deep, desperate, unrequited love.

> how you felt the first time you knowingly, purposefully, brazenly, told a serious lie.

> Sunday morning church, uncomfortable clothes, hard pew, sleep-deprived, hungover

> looking at someone you've known forever and realizing you've never, ever, understood that person at all

> day-dreaming about losing it all, completely falling apart, and then fighting your way back after years of struggle, and talking to someone who for whom life and success was just handed to them.

> how the King felt after realizing a stupid decision he made cost his kingdom untold deaths and misery.

and so on...

nat whilk ii

• Members
[just counted] Wow, turns out I didn't actually write that many songs start to finish last year. Maybe like 5? I finished recording a few older ones. I started a ton. Ugh.

Since you write such good songs, I humbly advise not worrying about itsmiley-happy

nat whilk ii

• Members
A list of those moods -

> slowly warming with love for someone you've just been sitting with in the same room for a long time, not talking, just being together

> hating yourself for feeling intimidated going into a bank to ask for a loan

> suddenly remembering a detail from childhood that had been forgotten for decades, just appearing without notice or prompt, vivid and full of meaning you can't define

> how you felt the first time you felt good-looking (whether true or not)

> realizing that someone (besides your mother) that you have overlooked and taken for granted, loves you with a deep, desperate, unrequited love.

> how you felt the first time you knowingly, purposefully, brazenly, told a serious lie.

> Sunday morning church, uncomfortable clothes, hard pew, sleep-deprived, hungover

> looking at someone you've known forever and realizing you've never, ever, understood that person at all

> day-dreaming about losing it all, completely falling apart, and then fighting your way back after years of struggle, and talking to someone who for whom life and success was just handed to them.

> how the King felt after realizing a stupid decision he made cost his kingdom untold deaths and misery.

Wow, these are great, what evocative starting points! From these you could go straight to a great title, and *then* the song.

Archived