Can U feel it

stickboymusic

• Members

No idea where this came from - I just switched computer on....played in a drum loop and this was written and done in an hour.

I think it probably needs work.... think the "bridge" can be stronger and some lyrics should be tidied - what you say.

Production wise I have added zero eq, compression.... tweaking....nothing.... just a limiter on the end so its a bit raw (but i kinda like it like that!)

Can U feel it

https://soundcloud.com/stickboy/canufeelit-demo

Fortune for the lovers lost

the lonesome and the brave

Lady luck will meet you on

the pathway that you made...

...if you feel it.

Can you feel it?

Sing to her a lullaby

about your days gone past

sit and watch the angels cry

your trying times won't last

...if you feel it.

Can you feel it?

Hold your head up high

be strong be true

Every chance of hope

Is down to you.

...if you feel it.

Can you feel it?

• Members

Well like I said this is a quick early pass.... however im personally loving the wrongness of things musically.... it just feels right to me.

Of course it isn't the obvious thing to do but if I went that route I think it would just be another usual song.

I dunno

Would be interested in others thoughts as to direction

• Members

I find the drums and bass and synth combo pretty charming, a refreshing change of pace. Yeah, maybe the bass tone and lines could stand some tweaking. The little electric guitar part I like a lot, too.

Maybe bring the electric piano in at the start? That sparseness without it might be putting people off?

Could you bring a female voice in to sing this with you? On the sweet and light side. Having a male and female voice both singing "can you feel it?" might be kinda sexy:D2

I'd pan the acoustic guitar just a bit off-center, the electric piano just a bit the opposite side off-center, and put the little electric guitar lead on the left. Or at least I'd mess with the panning, try to get it all a bit more coordinated, meshed. The strumming acoustic way out on the left really strikes me as the main problem.

The feel of the chorus with everybody in is right on track, just needs some polishing. You might stretch the notes out longer on the 2nd "can you feel it" to "feeeeel" it (2 to 4 beats long, maybe vary it) and double-track your own vocal in the chorus, and drop your chorus vocal back further into the mix. I know this is a raw, untreated version - these are just my first "hmmm...try this" thoughts.

This is a little Royksopp-ish. Big Royksopp fan here.

Lyrics - I just have this thing about "Lady Luck", strikes me as a hackneyed image, from a gambling machine or an old Burt Reynolds movie or something. I would never use the phrase except cynically. I might be oversensitive about that. Same about "angels cry" - another oldie that made it into a bunch of 60s rock and 80s country.

But the positive, hopeful message goes well with the synthy, laptoppy vibe of the thing. You don't want it too cute or it will sound like an iPad advert or something. But I think this tune would be a nice variation in your impressive oeuvre.

nat whilk ii

• Members

Cool. Love the production, esp. the reverse stuff.

To me the "if you feel it/can you feel it" is more of a refrain, a tagline, not a proper chorus. As you mention, you need something bigger and hooky and memorable at the "hold your head up high" bit...what's there is too safe/innocuous for me - need a hook.

• Members
however im personally loving the wrongness of things musically.... it just feels right to me.

Of course it isn't the obvious thing to do but if I went that route I think it would just be another usual song.

I hear what you are saying, but IMO to be musically cohesive it needs to be more than what just sounds like sloppy drums and bass.

I think you need to go further than this and achieve 'quirky'.

I love quirky music and the 'Can U feel it' section of the lyric is the perfect place to do it..

• Members

Lyrics - I just have this thing about "Lady Luck", strikes me as a hackneyed image, from a gambling machine or an old Burt Reynolds movie or something.

'Lady Luck' also jumped out at me with 1st reading. I agree it is a dated phrase.

JJ Cale wrote a fantastic song in the 70's by the same name, and it still works well as a vintage song, but our work is to invent new turns of phrase wherever possible.

Archived