A Stand-off with Blue

oldgitplayer

• Members

I've started a new one today.

Anybody like the idea?

Any suggestions?

I'm just digesting the idea before proceeding further.

A Stand-off with Blue

V1

Caught in strange situations

I only misconstrue

Just add to my frustrations

With resolutions overdue

So I stare out the window

And watch the rain

It's just another thing I do

When I'm stuck in a stand-off

Stuck in a stand-off

Stuck / in a stand-off / with blue

Middle 8

V2

Stuck in a stand-off

So I remain stuck in a stand-off

Stuck in a stand-off

• Members

The tag line is very much the kind of tag line I like - Stuck in a Standoff with Blue.

The tag line has a clear rhythm right there in the line, plus some alliteration, plus the "B" in blue is like the thuddy thump of a kick drum right on the downbeat.

This forum does not attract a lot of blues fanatics, to say the least. Do you envision a standard blues feel for this?

nat whilk ii

• Members

This forum does not attract a lot of blues fanatics, to say the least. Do you envision a standard blues feel for this?

nat whilk ii

No - I won't be doing a standard blues with this.

Although I love the whole blues tradition, I will never try to write in the genre - because it's all been done - and soooo very well.

• Members

I like it. The only thing that sticks out for me is this:

I only misconstrue

With resolutions overdue

And watch the rain

Stuck in a stand-off

You're rhyming due with do.

Plus, I'm not sure if resolutions can be overdue.

In other words, are you overdue on making them or keeping them?

• Members

^^^ Ha - that great dividing stretch of water between pronunciations.

If I was writing for an American singer then you would be correct, but for a UK singer the American pronunciation would change the meaning when sung as 'overdo'. I have written it to be pronounced 'overdyew'.

In my life and this lyric, resolutions can be overdue…………..smiley-happy

• Members

So should we should be hearing "stuck" as rhyming with "rook"?

If you had to place your accent geographically, is it Kentish proper, or a Liverpudlian mumble, or a Yorkshire almost-brogue?

I'm sure anyone who's heard my voice hears my moderate Texas-style southern accent. I did live in the Midwest for six years as a kid, so I can turn off the Texas and dial in the midwest thing, but it's getting harder to do as the decades flake and fall away.

Question - are UK-ers aware that a huge swath of Americans consider themselves to have no accent at all of any kind whatsoever? Does that not say something about the rather provincial attitude that is just part of the deal over here?smiley-happy

nat whilk ii

• Members
So should we should be hearing "stuck" as rhyming with "rook"?

If you had to place your accent geographically, is it Kentish proper, or a Liverpudlian mumble, or a Yorkshire almost-brogue?

Question - are UK-ers aware that a huge swath of Americans consider themselves to have no accent at all of any kind whatsoever? Does that not say something about the rather provincial attitude that is just part of the deal over here?smiley-happy

nat whilk ii

Nobody in the English speaking world is without an accent of some kind or another.

Rhyming "stuck' with "rook" would work in the north of England - especially Yorkshire and Lancashire, but generally elsewhere it wouldn't happen.

A broad northern accent extends the vowels in 'rook' and 'book'. You would hear "buke' like 'fluke'.

Geographically I'm from the Midlands and my parents were from London and the South Coast, so my own accent doesn't have the northern sounds.

• Members

I've tried completing this song, but I'm not feeling it.

This is where I've got to, but I think I need to to just keep the tag line and build the song from a different angle.

Any thoughts?

Stand-off with Blue………..Burton 2014 ©

V1

I only misconstrue

With resolutions overdue

And watch the rain

Stuck in a stand-off

Middle 8

Colours in my garden

Colours in my room

The wall, the floor, the window frame

The borders all in bloom

I see the reds, the greens, the greys

All within my view

But colours bleed inside of me

And turn an opaque blue

V2

Caught by vague emotions

I try to subdue

Contemplating fake notions

Pretending it's all true

So I lie in the moonlight

And watch the clouds

Stuck in a stand-off

So I remain in a stand-off

Stuck in a stand-off

• Members

Very nice.

My only thought would be to maybe change the greys to browns. I know he's talking about the colors outside the window and in his room, but it just felt a tiny bit off to see greys listed as part of the palette.

• Members

^^^^ I'm glad you approve, but I don't know why I haven't bonded with it. Maybe the post-natal depression is around the corner……smiley-happy

I see your point about using 'brown' but at the moment I'm hanging my hat on the sing ability of 'gre' and gra'.

I make a habit of copying all comments across into the song file, so that as I move it forward now, later or much later, I can reflect on the possibilities available for use.

• Members

As far as filling out lyrics goes, if you've already said what you have to say, either just say anything (e.g. Mick Jagger: "Fate has been broken, tears must be cried, let's do some living after we've died) or don't say anything, and call it done (e.g. Willie Nelson's "Crazy").

Advice for this particular song: Be very careful and deliberate about NOT letting it sound like "Tangled Up In Blue"!

• Members
I've tried completing this song, but I'm not feeling it.

This is where I've got to, but I think I need to to just keep the tag line and build the song from a different angle.

Any thoughts?

V1

I only misconstrue

With resolutions overdue

And watch the rain

Stuck in a stand-off

Middle 8

Colours in my garden

Colours in my room

The wall, the floor, the window frame

The borders all in bloom

I see the reds, the greens, the greys

All within my view

But colours bleed inside of me

And turn an opaque blue

V2

Caught by vague emotions

I try to subdue

Contemplating fake notions

Pretending it's all true

So I lie in the moonlight

And watch the clouds

Stuck in a stand-off

So I remain in a stand-off

Stuck in a stand-off

This is a great idea, and a great title, but you're right the verses don't set it up as well as they could. A lot of telling vs. showing (e.g., situations, emotions).

If the title is "Stuck in a Standoff with Blue," then the verses should be all about stuff you're doing to fight depression, an obvious cause of which is lost love. So then list all the things you do to forget her. Or if not about a girl, then all the things you do to fight sadness: drink, exercise, casual sex, food, whatever. But give it some teeth.

I would avoid the word 'misconstrue' if you can. Ditto 'emotions.' And I think the bridge is stronger if you don't actually use the word "blue" at the end, you don't need to, just let us know they all look the same now, we'll figure it out.

Hope this helps.

• Members

^^^ I agree that it would be preferable not to use the word 'blue' in the Middle 8. I thought that when I 1st wrote it, but haven't moved forward on that change yet.

However, I'm staying with the word 'misconstrue' - it sings in an interesting way (in my head).

'Emotions' may disappear.

I'm going to disagree with you on the 'show' vs 'tell' comment though. I know that you often comment on this topic, but my writing is usually a mix of both 'show' and 'tell'. It's just the way I write. Sometimes I do a straight down the line 'show' narrative, but I really don't think a writer should limit himself in this way.

Your own writing is very good, so I know that you make it work.

The concept of this song is universal and everybody has their own kind of stand-off with blue. For that reason I have consciously avoided concrete events like fighting depression, lost love etc. I want the listener to join their own dots. I'd be interested to hear if other people think I'm wrong about this - I know that I'm still very much a novice at this songwriting game.

• Members
The concept of this song is universal and everybody has their own kind of stand-off with blue. .

Fair enough, but trying to write a universal anthem is tough - the more universal it is, the more generic it is, the more blah it risks being. So you lose me at "strange situations I misconstrue." I immediately think "like what?" Could just be me. In general you want your lyric specific enough that it grabs people with the detail, but not so specific they can't relate. There's a tension. You're already talking about looking out at the rain, I'm just saying make your examples more pungent and interesting.

Obviously if your music is monstrous none of this matters.

• Members

Fair enough, but trying to write a universal anthem is tough - the more universal it is, the more generic it is, the more blah it risks being. So you lose me at "strange situations I misconstrue." I immediately think "like what?" Could just be me. In general you want your lyric specific enough that it grabs people with the detail, but not so specific they can't relate. There's a tension. You're already talking about looking out at the rain, I'm just saying make your examples more pungent and interesting.

Obviously if your music is monstrous none of this matters.

Firstly - this song is in no way an attempt at a 'universal anthem' as you have put it. It's just a song that people may identify with the tag line - 'Stuck in a stand-off with blue'.

Secondly, the music will not achieve 'monstrous' status as music is my weaker side of songwriting.

Let me show you the intended structure of each verse just in case you have missed it:

V1 (first) - being in a non-specific mental and emotional mess

I only misconstrue

With resolutions overdue

V1 (mid) - concrete reaction to being a mental and emotional mess

And watch the rain

V1 (last) - conclusive statement of emotional situation

Stuck in a stand-off

You seem to insist that everything needs to be fully explained, and I keep saying, "No it doesn't".

So we seem to be stuck in a stand-off of songwriting opinion here.

I'm not suggesting for a moment that there is a right and wrong in this matter. Just that both approaches to a song are valid.

• Members
You seem to insist that everything needs to be fully explained' date=' and I keep saying, [i']"No it doesn't".[/i]

So we seem to be stuck in a stand-off of songwriting opinion here.

I'm not suggesting for a moment that there is a right and wrong in this matter. Just that both approaches to a song are valid.

Well I agree that we're in a standoff, and that's OK, but just so we're clear, my point is not that things need to be 'fully explained,' but rather that I'd prefer here if you make your point in a slightly more specific way vs. generically. But like I said, there's always a tension (i.e. universal vs specific), so you're right, there's no right answer. Also I'm certainly not 'insisting' on anything, just giving a POV....you're free to disregard. :)

Archived