Friday Influences 12-12-14

Lee Knight

• Moderators

It's great to see the place getting used again. Some new blood has arrived. Welcome Donna. It feels like some good work's gonna get done. Doesn't it? Oh, lurkers and scaredy cats... stay right where you are. But engaged and willing writers? Either seasoned or newbie writer, wannabe or vet, come on in. Post what you love and why.

An old friend came by the house the other night while I was trying to get my new interface hooked up into my recording rig. Dean, the guy who played with Beefheart and played slide on my Sandstone Heart? We got to talking about McCartney and how his love of the old show tunes and classic standards informed his writing so much. Gershwin meets Little Richard. Hey, like a Friday Influences Thread. Dean's the kind of guy that says things like, "OHHHHH! Or how 'bout that aug IV chord right before the bridge?!?!?" Then he'll grab my guitar like a kid and show you. It's exciting. And I end up saying, WHAT'S THAT CHORD? SHOW ME!!!" a lot.

Then, in his introspective voice, he says, "But you know, Jeff Lynne, though not the genius that Paul is, he has a similar love of that music that absolutely is a feature in his writing." The chords floating these melodies. Some of it is just astounding. And of course Lynne's album Long Wave comes up. Dean's a fan. He chooses a Rogers and Hammerstein I hadn't heard before. The chords and melody. WOW. Then I listened to the Sinatra just now and...

...of course it's the same tune. But Lynne's version says a lot about Lynne. His writing. his arrangements. His chord voicings. What he chooses to accentuate. I get why many feel that Lynne's treatment of this tune is heresy but I absolutely love it. It's a rock musician lifting ideas but staying true to his thing. A great example of taking something and using it anew. Like Paul did. And like Lynne does here. note to self: Steal these chords. If you can, listen all the way through. There are some awesome changes.

And Dean, you are a hell of a lot of fun to hang with.

• Moderators
Still morose about Ian McLagan and Bobby Keys. :(

I am lucky enough to have shared the stage with Bobby Keys maybe 20 times in the 80's. My band had a regular La Jolla gig. And Bobby lived in La Jolla between tours with the Stones, etc. And Bobby couldn't stay home at night and he liked to get laid and party quite a bit and... he made it out and would sit in for a set or two on a packed Friday night. So the girls would know he was a star so he could hook up. Cause really he was like a little boy. Sweet. Innocent. Except when he wasn't.

Nothing is quite like hearing that horn, that iconic sound echoing a riff you just played. Or weaving between your vocals. Surreal. RIP Mr. Keys.

• Members
I listen to this album often...Norah Jones is amazing...she has a standards feel to her style but this whole album is a good one.

Yeah I admit to a Norah Jones influence. I love the stripped down jazzy/R&B feel of her first two albums - she has a great,restrained, soulful-jazzy feel on piano which is about as rare as it gets for pop/alt artists. Good old U of North Texas...lots of good musicians have come out of there. She's for real, really plays, really sings, really writes.

Watch close starting at 2: 02 thru about 2: 06. She plays a little Keith Jarrett-ish block chord lick with a wrong harmonizing note and makes a little amused/chagrined face about it...I can so relate.

Surprise

[video=youtube_share;ss3148ZXwuc]

Archived