Friday Influences - 12-5-14

Lee Knight

• Members

I posted this last night in last week's thread because I couldn't resist. The keyboardist here is Corey Henry. The band is Snarky Puppy. His solo in this is incredible. Makes me want to quit playing.

[video=youtube;L_XJ_s5IsQc]

• Members

Fossil Collective. Just stumbled upon these guys yesterday and I've been listening to them non-stop since. Too many good songs to list them all, so just go to Amazon and download the album and two EPs.

[video=youtube;MJqkRnF_VR4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJqkRnF_VR4

[video=youtube;hBZ8vsl2tg4]

[video=youtube;J5nE1510oYo]

[video=youtube;zlgQop9HlHk]

My job here is done. :)

• Members
Why are you in hiding???

I've been musically inactive lately, and it was clear I stepped on too many toes in my prior conversation. I don't have any hard feelings toward anyone, just felt like a break was needed. I'll be back at some point.

Because his job here is done?

COME BACK JUSTIN!

:)

Now go listen to Fossil Collective!

• Members

Listening to the Spotify playlist now. Someone posted Jesus Christ Superstar. I haven't listened to it in a loooong time, but that was one of a small handful of rock albums in the house when I was a child in the early 70's. My dad had hundreds of albums of classical music, and my mom had some folk records, but JCS and a copy of Let It Be without the dust cover are the only rock albums I remember.

• Moderators
I posted this last night in last week's thread because I couldn't resist. The keyboardist here is Corey Henry. The band is Snarky Puppy. His solo in this is incredible. Makes me want to quit playing. [video=youtube;L_XJ_s5IsQc]
Holy asterisk! That reminds me of Chick Corea at his electronic best. There were moments in that solo that had me laughing out loud. Just phenomenal. He starts across the beat and I have no clue what is going on but I am absolutely engaged. As he builds in intensity I just feel bursts of euphoria almost. The bass player in the video has a similar moment I can see. Really great stuff.

• Members

Fountains of Wayne are known for Stacy's Mom, but this group has a lot of great songs...very clever writers. They have a certain pop sound down. If you don't know them well, listen to Interstate Managers album sometime...here is one cut.

• Moderators

One if my favorite all time albums

Fountains of Wayne are known for Stacy's Mom' date=' but this group has a lot of great songs...very clever writers. They have a certain pop sound down. If you don't know them well, listen to Interstate Managers album sometime...here is one cut.[/quote']

• Moderators
I saw Paul Thorn in Chico last year...good writer' date=' very funny. You might know these guys, they are from SD...Berkley Hart...saw them here and they are very good...not well known but really good.[/quote']

San Diego staples on the scene. Jeff Berkley runs a very successful recording and production facility out of his house.

The next one down shows Eve Selis, the pretty blond. She's very good and someone I've known since the 80's club days here in town. Seems all my old band mates have gone through her band. She plays every Monday night with old friends and Jim Solti, Johnny Cash's guitarist. Just down the street from my home. Thanks for the reminder. I gotta go again.

Archived