Ways to Break Free?

JamieShields

• Members

Not everybody has a 'usual style of writing'. Maybe the first question to be asking is, "How does that work?"

My take on the answer is 'diversity'.

Write in different locations and situations.

Write with different instruments

Write in genres outside of your comfort zone

Write about unfamiliar subjects

Read and be stimulated

Look and be stimulated

Listen to classics, jazz, folk, etc…..and bounce off unfamiliar musical territory

The list can go on.

• Members
Do you guys do anything specific to try to break free from your usual style of writing?

Change your starting point.

If you normally start with lyrics....then write the music first

If you normally start with guitar chords... then pick up a ukulele or piano (don't pick it up!) and see what happens..... different voicings of the same chord can lead your melody in different ways.

Or pick a topic...anything.... a passage from a book.... write a short lyrical story to that.

Or..... just keep doing what you are doing...if you do it well.

• Members

Some great ideas above.

Usually for me my challenge is not starting new songs, which come reasonably easily, but finishing the ones I've started. This usually entails work, i.e., sitting down and forcing myself to write, vs' waiting for inspiration. Once I've actually started typing (w rhyme dictionary in an open browser), I usually can finish. But for me it is insanely painful to start.

• Members

Change your starting point.

If you normally start with lyrics....then write the music first

If you normally start with guitar chords... then pick up a ukulele or piano (don't pick it up!) and see what happens..... different voicings of the same chord can lead your melody in different ways.

Or pick a topic...anything.... a passage from a book.... write a short lyrical story to that.

Or..... just keep doing what you are doing...if you do it well.

I actually started doing just that a few months ago. I now own a guitar, a ukulele, banjo, mandolin, melodica, and keyboard. The different voicings certainly helps. I still feel limited though, it's weird. Its like something inside me is dying to break free and I just haven't gotten there yet. If you're curious to see where I'm at now, check out my YouTube page: http://www.youtube.com/therealbluehooney

Thanks for the responses, guys. lots of great advice here!

• Members
Some great ideas above.

Usually for me my challenge is not starting new songs, which come reasonably easily, but finishing the ones I've started. This usually entails work, i.e., sitting down and forcing myself to write, vs' waiting for inspiration. Once I've actually started typing (w rhyme dictionary in an open browser), I usually can finish. But for me it is insanely painful to start.

Yes! Same for me! I have TONS of starts of songs, but then I just get stuck and it doesn't go anywhere. One great way of dealing with that I've implemented is recording all my ideas and saving them for another time. I will grab either my cell phone or my laptop and either video or tape record the song. It might take me a year or more to get back to it, but eventually, the quality stuff resurfaces and manifests into a complete song.

• Members

Yes! Same for me! I have TONS of starts of songs, but then I just get stuck and it doesn't go anywhere. One great way of dealing with that I've implemented is recording all my ideas and saving them for another time. I will grab either my cell phone or my laptop and either video or tape record the song. It might take me a year or more to get back to it, but eventually, the quality stuff resurfaces and manifests into a complete song.

Let's hope you're right...I do the same and have about three years of ideas now, but am only pacing at a song or two a month!

• Members

Writers block is the devil but most will experience it. Try to always expand your horizon. For example, if you're doing R&B, listen to some rock. If you do Country, listen to some EDM. Be open for change. That can sometimes really improve creativity.

• Members

Try putting one of your starts here and see if the community can help you flesh it out...take what works for you and blend it all together. Leave what doesn't work for you. More eyes see things that you can use in your own words.

Archived