In the land of Fantasy ( 2:41 long) Post 30 update lyric and recording

tbry

• Members

I didn't want you guys to think I never do anything, though very little when it comes to recording...it takes so much time and work and admire you guys that have that talent and ability. This is something I have meant to capture and not forget that I wrote a while back...I just used a cell phone...there is some crackling at the start and IDK if that is clipping or not but it doesn't happen later. Still, this is very lo-fi...just wanted to share. When the ahhs aahhhs come in I want to add more harmony layers...if I ever get an interface ,then maybe....

In the land of Fantasy

In the land of fantasy

Lives a man

That looks a lot like you... and me

All living in a fantasy

When the night comes

He is at home alone

Like you...and me

All living in a fantasy

Surly he knows

Reality it shows

The face in the mirror

Is afraid to be near

Someone who can touch his very soul

Ahhh ah ahhh

In the land of fantasy

Lives a man

All living in a fantasy

• Members

I think this is a good start of something.

The prosody is off in places which is a distraction. It needs some thought as to where the emphasis should fall.

Given that the verses are so short, I find the duplication of the word 'fantasy' a bit much.

I think the song would benefit from a re-write of either the 1st or 4th line.

• Members

Love the guitar, love the chords. Love the concept. Hate the word "fantasy." The contrast between "fantasy" and "reality" in pop is so played out one could argue those words should be banned, ha.

The only way I think you could lean so hard into "fantasy" is if there was a twist or joke each time, dunno. Sorry, hope this helps. Can you find a more unique way to say fantasy?

• Members
I think this is a good start of something.

The prosody is off in places which is a distraction. It needs some thought as to where the emphasis should fall.

Given that the verses are so short, I find the duplication of the word 'fantasy' a bit much.

I think the song would benefit from a re-write of either the 1st or 4th line.

Yeah, Thanks..it has prosody issues because of my delivery, but I will try to tidy it up. Short little piece, maybe you have a point with too many fantasy's.

• Members
Love the guitar, love the chords. Love the concept. Hate the word "fantasy." The contrast between "fantasy" and "reality" in pop is so played out one could argue those words should be banned, ha.

The only way I think you could lean so hard into "fantasy" is if there was a twist or joke each time, dunno. Sorry, hope this helps. Can you find a more unique way to say fantasy?

Thanks for the compliments on the guitar...I felt I missed a lot of notes and the recording is terrible. To much fantasy in a short piece is understandable...

• Members

It probably doesn't solve the whole "these words should be banned" thing but maybe you could say

In the land of make believe

Lives a man

All living in a fantasy

It isn't the full answer but at least it loses one of the "fantasy" mentions

I guess if you ever got to record it , you could make it a little psychedelic.... flanger on the voice ect and place it back in the sixties where these sorts of lyrics were pretty common.

Its a good start though and good to see you post something

• Members
It probably doesn't solve the whole "these words should be banned" thing but maybe you could say

Lives a man

All living in a fantasy

I guess if you ever got to record it , you could make it a little psychedelic.... flanger on the voice ect and place it back in the sixties where these sorts of lyrics were pretty common.

Thanks Stick, I like that idea....that fits real well. It wouldn't be the same song without fantasy but losing one of them makes sense.

• Members

Lives a man

All living in a fantasy

I agree with Stick. I think this is the start of something quite good.

I really like the "ahs..."

• Moderators

I'm not sure broken dream is any less of an issue but here's my twist.

In the land of promise

Lives a man

All living in a broken dream

When the night comes

He is at home alone

Like you...and me

Surly he knows

Reality shows

The face in the mirror

Is afraid to be near

Someone who can touch his highest highs

Then his lowest lows

Ahhh ah ahhh

In the land of promise

Lives a man

All living in the in-between

All living in the sight-unseen

All living just a mile downstream

Just out of step with the color scheme...

• Members

Lee, IDK...the fantasy idea is completely gone then, though the idea you present would work, the ahhhs kind of lose the fantasy feel.

Question, there seems an aversion to the word fantasy, understandable I guess, but I can't remember any overuse of the word in recent memory...Traffic, Dear Mr. Fantasy over 40 years ago is all I recall?

• Members

Foose1...good examples. Hey, I stand corrected but still those examples are over 30 years ago. I know its no big deal to me or anyone really, just a song with fantasy in it. I like that so many of you gave my idea a look...Thanks....Now I will try to re-record it with Sticks idea of make believe....

• Members
Foose1...good examples. Hey, I stand corrected but still those examples are over 30 years ago. I know its no big deal to me or anyone really, just a song with fantasy in it. I like that so many of you gave my idea a look...Thanks....Now I will try to re-record it with Sticks idea of make believe....

Hey tbry - it's totally you're prerogative to tell us all to take a hike and stick with your "double fantasy" concept. Your job now is to filter all the commentary, which taken collectively is often contradictory and thus impossible to execute. Good stuff.

• Members

Hey tbry - it's totally you're prerogative to tell us all to take a hike and stick with your "double fantasy" concept. Your job now is to filter all the commentary, which taken collectively is often contradictory and thus impossible to execute. Good stuff.

I would never do that...although I enjoy hiking, so we could all get together and take a hike...that would be cool.

I looked up songs with Fantasy in it and everyone is correct...(forgot about Double Fantasy)...there are a bunch....I am in good company!

• Moderators
I would never do that...although I enjoy hiking, so we could all get together and take a hike...that would be cool. I looked up songs with Fantasy in it and everyone is correct...(forgot about Double Fantasy)...there are a bunch....I am in good company!
Of course you're in good company! If you feel strongly about the fantasy concept, by all means do it. I think everyone agrees with that. Personally, I don't see enough of a slant on this to make it new or unique though. That's not to say I know what I'm talking about either. So all I can do or anyone else for that matter, is to give their personal instincts a voice. So, if you are really tied to the concept of the fantasy and maybe flesh that out a bit more to give it an angle. To give it some meat. What is the fantasy you were talking about? Maybe going to that a bit. Or not. For sure, it is all up to you. No one hears disagreeing with that for sure.

• Members

Hi, tbry. I like the song's simplicity, and the overall theme. Easy to relate to.

I hope it's OK to add a couple of thoughts.

There are a few options, but one might be to set the lyric up in a standard AABA format, with section 3 as the bridge, with the refrain in line 4 of each verse. Maybe also consider changing line 3 in V3 so that the story is pulled ahead a step further (V1, looking like; V2, marking time; V3, almost gone).

(The changes below are rough examples just to illustrate what I mean.)

Re V3, if you opt for the standard AABA format, you might want to change lines 1 & 2 to something new. (Rough example shown.)

Would you consider 'dwells' in line 2, V1? It avoids the near repetition in line 4 ('living'), and also has a linguistic nuance that resonates with the fairy-tale notion of make-believe.

I hope the above is useful in some way. Keep or sweep. ;)

Donna

Living in a Fantasy

V1

In a land of make-believe

Dwells a man

All living in a fantasy

V2

When the night comes, he'll be found

Home alone

Just marking time, like you...and me

All living in a fantasy