Is this terrible? (probably)

stickboymusic

• Members

Just picked up the guitar at work and sang this into my phone

So yes it SOUNDS awful BUT is the song terrible.

A big part of me thinks its all a bit cliche....but it might be fun to work it up to a pop type song

I haven't quite nailed the melody and I need a strong last 2 lines in the chorus as they are proper filler at the mo

Worth working on or a ditcher?

http://picosong.com/42Jq/

EDIT: CHANGED THE KEY AND SOME CHORDS

http://picosong.com/42Qp/

Ive gotta say

That when you’re falling by the wayside

You gotta pick yourself right up

And start again

Cos everyday

That youre feelin like youre beaten

You gotta learn that everythings

Gonna be ok

You gotta stop thinking everythings gonna come crashing down….hit the ground

With a little bit of lovin you might…see everythings gonna be alright

Cos ive got you and you’ve got me

We’ve got our own little dreams and a family

Money in the bank for a rainy day

Well the sun never shines here anyway

So we’ll run out to the city where the night never fades

We can go to every party join in every parade

Gamble all our money on a second hand bet

As long as we’re together…there’s nothing we can regret

• Members

Nice tune.. .nice flow...

The line "we've got our own little dreams and a family" kind of implies there are kids involved (at least that's what I took from it). But it's clear from the rest of the song that isn't the case. Suggest a slight change to that line to something like:

We've got our own little dreams of a family

OR

Maybe one day a family

OR

But happiness is not guaranteed

Love this line: Money in the bank for a rainy day / Well the sun never shines here anyway

Definitely worth developing.

• Members
Nice tune.. .nice flow...

The line "we've got our own little dreams and a family" kind of implies there are kids involved (at least that's what I took from it). But it's clear from the rest of the song that isn't the case. Suggest a slight change to that line to something like:

We've got our own little dreams of a family

OR

Maybe one day a family

OR

But happiness is not guaranteed

Love this line: Money in the bank for a rainy day / Well the sun never shines here anyway

Definitely worth developing.

Yeh good points..... i havent really thought or edited.... i think i was going to lead it that way....the family ect ect...but didn't

Your suggestions make it make more sense

• Members

For some reason, I can't access the music.

I'll focus just on the lyric. Yes, a lot of cliches, but that's the nature of a lot of pop songs. It'll likely be all about the delivery. ;)

I'm assuming the third section is the chorus?

I got a big kick out lines 3 & 4.

In fact, I could even envisage them being the hooky part of the chorus, since nothing else really stands out. It's a mainly a series of images that don't necessarily connect to what's being said in section 1. I think the disconnect might be because section 1 sounds as if the singer is addressing a universal audience, and speaking in platitudes, but in the chorus, he's addressing a specific person.

In general, and I think especially in pop music, a repeated hook is a lot more memorable.

At 8 lines, the chorus is long (though flows well, apart from line 8). I think you could almost get away with dropping lines 1 & 2, and start off with 'We've got money in the bank for a rainy day'.

In any case, if you stick to the chorus you have, I think you could tighten it up by dropping a few syllables.

Line 8 is a little clunky. Suggest re-wording it or opting for a different end rhyme to go with 'bet'.

Here's what I mean (an example of an alternative):

We’ve got our dreams about a family

So we’ll run to the city where the night never fades

Go to every party and ticker-tape parade

Gamble our money on a second hand bet

Not do a thing that we're gonna regret

In the alternative line 8 there's an ironic twist, in that it's saying that the singer and his lady will regret none of the previously mentioned things.

If section 2 is intended as the pre-chorus, I'd recommend rethinking it, as basically it repeats what's in section 1.

In section 1 (V1?), I'd like to see a stronger, more dramatic first line. Something to really grab the listener/reader by the throat.

In any case, I think you've got a good basis to build on.

Well, just a few thoughts for your consideration. I hope they're helpful. Keep or sweep. ;)

Donna

• Members

Really like this, this is swinging for the fences in a way, trying to write something huge and universal. Keep it coherent, don't try to inject weirdness (hard for me).

Some of the verse the melody and chords don't sync as well as they should for me (falling by the wayside).

Back half of the chorus should be a verse or a bridge, it lets the chorus down the awesome perfect 1st half. Chorus needs to lead to a big unique title at the end that you can repeat, you don't have that now.

Good stuff. Get some safe pop star to sing this...and retire.

• Members
Really like this, this is swinging for the fences in a way, trying to write something huge and universal. Keep it coherent, don't try to inject weirdness (hard for me).

Some of the verse the melody and chords don't sync as well as they should for me (falling by the wayside).

Back half of the chorus should be a verse or a bridge, it lets the chorus down the awesome perfect 1st half. Chorus needs to lead to a big unique title at the end that you can repeat, you don't have that now.

Good stuff. Get some safe pop star to sing this...and retire.

Yeh its a funny one....i dont feel 100 percent behind this song but it feels like its being written for a purpose....i.e its not something id normally really "like" but it MIGHT have mass appeal if I can nail it.

With you on the chorus...and ending at "Well the sun never shines here anyway" and then writing a great hook line will be the way.

Next section will work as a bridge im sure.

In terms of the melody/chords in the verse.... i think I have already tidied them a little (although they arent on that rough recording) so should be fine.

Gonna have to put some work into this one.

Ta

• Members

I think this has a lot of potential...I like how you go into the chorus section ...

We’ve got our dreams about a family

• Members

I like it. I listened to the 2nd and 3rd versions. The third is best, tempo-wise.

I would replace there’s nothing we can regret to there's nothing to regret or something similar, because the line you've got now has one too many syllables IMO.

• Moderators

For me... the lyric comes alive when these words hit the scene.

family

Money

bank

rainy day

sun

city

night

party

parade

Gamble

bet

Those words "show" the story. It's interesting to me there. Prior to that verse it's just "tell" stuff. I'd get some scene and surroundings and actions happening from the start. It's what you do so well and what is missing from everything but the last verse. It's what you do so well.

Archived