Friday Influences 10-31-14!!!

Lee Knight

• Moderators

I supposed I should do some Halloween thing. BOO!!! Join in lurkers! Or... just pretend play along. Imagine yourself joining in and then catch yourself in one of those sad lonely smiles you make when you realize you're alone only because you're scared. Cue close up tear on cheek. Scared? We don't need no stinking SCARED. Boo! Hiccups are gone and so is your shyness. Live my child. Run free! Post with abandon!

Bobby "Boris" Pickett anyone? Naw.

_________

So, working on The Day I Lost Myself, there are a lot of parallels to Peter Gabriel 's music for me. As inspiration. It was never intended but it does have that sort of slant. Sledgehammer and following. I'm being careful to dodge lifting ideas. I am using the distant memory of his music to help me come up with ideas. Like the 16th note palm mute electric guitar I laid down on it. Straight out of Digging in the Dirt or Steam. Except I haven't heard those songs in years. I ripping off my memory. So...

Peter Gabriel is a big influence this week. But really what I've been listening to is Swedish (slightly bent) pop star Tove Lo. This will not be a forum favorite but I'm getting a lot from it. Pop dance music that seems to come from a place of pain. I'm feeling it. Swede pop madness.

[video=youtube;8kLBg2k7bYQ]

_________

• Members

Did a mixcloud for this playlist:

http://www.mixcloud.com/ramsadasiv/b...oes-to-africa/

The Peace - Black Power

Amanaz - Khala My Friend

Grateful Dead - Playing in the Band

The Witch - Chifundo

Chrissy Zebby Tembo - ????

Chrissy Zebby Tembo - Trouble Maker

Rikki Llilonga - Dark Sunrise

Black Sabbath - War Pigs

Ngozi Family - Nizaka Panga Ngozi

Jimi Hendrix - Foxey Lady

Paul Ngozi - Help Me

Paul Ngozi - The Ghetto

Rolling Stones - Can't You Hear Me Knocking

Much easier to master than the "Songwriters I grew up with..." set because all the tracks are pre-loudness wars.

• Moderators
I actually like a bit of that stuff from time to time Lee.

You know this scottish band? Hooky chorus alert!

[video=youtube;TOu0kPPH4m0]

I love these guys ^^^. Very clever rhythm work. Not just stock indie synth sort of stuff but real inspired parts and writing. Good call. She's got a cool voice and... she's totally adorable. Sorry. Sometimes I'm still 15.

Gun is a good one by them too. Actually, I like all their stuff.

• Members
I actually like a bit of that stuff from time to time Lee.

You know this scottish band? Hooky chorus alert!

[video=youtube;TOu0kPPH4m0]

Crazy panning there in the beginning... made for a surprise trippy experience on first listen here in front of my monitors. The stuff not panned hard left or right just seemed to be floating out there in mid-air. Cool.

• Members

This is another fun Zevon song with another great opening line

[video=youtube;lP5Xv7QqXiM]

I went home with a waitress

the way I always do

how I was I to know

she was with the Russians too

Send laywers guns and money

the {censored} has hit the fan

lol

• Members

This is the opening sequence of a fun little nothing of a movie starring Harvey Keitel & Cameron Diaz. (Unfortunately it also stars Billy Zane and Craig Scheffer.)

The main thing it has going for it, IMO, is Shawn Colvin singing, over the opening credits, a great Beach Boys song: "Sail on Sailor," written by Brian Wilson, Ray Kennedy, Jack Reiley, Tandyn Almer (who wrote "Along Comes Mary"), and Van Dyke Parks (who claims to have written most of the song himself).

[video=youtube;EcYnFYXhVkc]

Oh, and the movie takes place in and around Camden, Maine, which is also where my series of mystery novels is set...

fetch?id=31301988

Archived