Friday Influences Thread...10-24-14

bee3

• Members

Lee is down and out with the flu. Let's not let today suck.

I remember when I first came to this forum... kind of lurking... maybe afraid to post... It took a while for me to come out of my shell. This thread here is a perfect way for you to just get over it... like I did, three years ago. Post something that has inspired you.

For me... I went to see this guy last night... Jordie Lane. An Australian. I wasn't prepared for how powerful his performance would be. I've been checking him out on youtube... and the performances are great. But live... WOW. His playing is so tight and powerful. Confident. His singing... damn. You can feel it in your chest.

Highly recommend.

[video=youtube;Ro-eLFV7-q0]

And with band:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmROn0hsxLw

• Members

Once a year I have to have a long sit-down and listen to this, Stravinsky's The Soldier's Tale - my favorite recorded performance is by the Boston Symphony with John Gielgud narrating which is of course not on YT - but this one is pretty good for a "young person's performance."

The vibe of the actual story is very 19th-century with the devil as the familiar well-dressed sly old man with "a carriage and pair" and so on. Here the devil is played by a young college-age female with hoop earrings, which, along with other distracting anachronisms, I suppose is an attempt to update/relevantize the thing maybe. But no matter - it's a fun performance and the string section is good, which is what really matters in this piece anyway.

It's a great story too, with a few spoken profundities at the end that are worth some contemplation.

[video=youtube_share;3wCuQENpaXs]

nat whilk ii

Archived