Lay Down Beside Me

rsadasiv

• Moderators

Interesting. The poem you've written is very cool. The marriage of the track and your spoken work is a cool start. The idea is surprisingly solid. The mechanics of it are a little problematic. A couple suggestions...

_________

The compression of your voice track is a little out of control with breaths, etc. I'd mess with that a bit more. One thing I find that helps me get in your face level control but clean and artifact free, is to hit a limiter first not touching the body of the phrases but shaving off maybe 6dB from the peaks of the phrase. Set output to match gain with unprocessed track. Then follow that with a warmish compressor set with slow attack and quick release. Set output as done above. Use as much gain reduction as you can get away with 3, 6, 12.

_________

The challenge of what to do with the program track while you speak. Here, you move it off to the side an equal percieved amount as your voice is opposite. That feels funny. You have a whole track tearing up roots and moving. It is disorienting like seeing a horizon sway. It unnerves. And for me, not in a good way. Sounds like you're keying the pan off your vocal? Cool idea. I'd be tempted to get the track up the middle to stay. Then maybe key a Mid Side processor. So every time you speak her vocal and the rest of the middle attenuate while leaving the sides up and full sounding. I've never had occasion to use such a process so have fun if you give that one a shot! ) It sounds doable and might be an awesome effect.

_________

Lastly... I think your voice should have a part that compliments her repeated hook section. Without it, you're not part of the band. And what works about this whole thing is your keen integration musically, but with spoken word. voice as instrument. It works. So...

Lay down beside me... lay down beside me

Lay down - lay down__Lay down

Be a part of the hook too! Of course keeping an eye on the cheese-o-meter at all times. Cool idea and the execution of your spoken take is awesome. Just need to tighten up some tech challenges and integrate yourself further I think.

• Members
Interesting. The poem you've written is very cool. The marriage of the track and your spoken work is a cool start. The idea is surprisingly solid. The mechanics of it are a little problematic. A couple suggestions...

_________

The compression of your voice track is a little out of control with breaths, etc. I'd mess with that a bit more. One thing I find that helps me get in your face level control but clean and artifact free, is to hit a limiter first not touching the body of the phrases but shaving off maybe 6dB from the peaks of the phrase. Set output to match gain with unprocessed track. Then follow that with a warmish compressor set with slow attack and quick release. Set output as done above. Use as much gain reduction as you can get away with 3, 6, 12.

_________

The challenge of what to do with the program track while you speak. Here, you move it off to the side an equal percieved amount as your voice is opposite. That feels funny. You have a whole track tearing up roots and moving. It is disorienting like seeing a horizon sway. It unnerves. And for me, not in a good way. Sounds like you're keying the pan off your vocal? Cool idea. I'd be tempted to get the track up the middle to stay. Then maybe key a Mid Side processor. So every time you speak her vocal and the rest of the middle attenuate while leaving the sides up and full sounding. I've never had occasion to use such a process so have fun if you give that one a shot! ) It sounds doable and might be an awesome effect.

_________

Lastly... I think your voice should have a part that compliments her repeated hook section. Without it, you're not part of the band. And what works about this whole thing is your keen integration musically, but with spoken word. voice as instrument. It works. So...

Lay down beside me... lay down beside me

Lay down - lay down__Lay down

Be a part of the hook too! Of course keeping an eye on the cheese-o-meter at all times. Cool idea and the execution of your spoken take is awesome. Just need to tighten up some tech challenges and integrate yourself further I think.

Excellent insights. Breaths are distracting - will set up limiter.. Did set up the ducking to route to the pan - will try ducking the center instead. Figure out a way to integrate the parts better and participate in the hook.

• Moderators

Cool. Oh... and if ducking the level is distracting, even it it ends up only being the center, this is where the kick and snare are too after all, maybe you could match tempo and program a nifty beatnik hippity hopity beat boxy groove thang. That way the duck doesn't rob the production of its balls. As a matter of fact, either way, that might make it a hell of a lot more your own thing too. Right up your alleyway.

• Moderators

Play a string patch (or flute) with no modulation along with her record and fine tune the synth to get it in pitch. By ear. Get it perfect. Play the string synth after tuning by ear into a tuner and take note of exact cent deviation. Recalibrate your tuner and save that as a preset. Call it "Bonoff Gives Me an InTune Boner". Tune everything to that preset when tracking.

• Members

I'm sorry but I don't get the point, maybe it's over my head. The track is too loud and I can't follow both. Even a radio DJ doing a VO freefrom thing wouldn't step all over a track, he'd find a an instrumental version with maybe the vocal peeking out once in a while. Or turn it way down. Maybe you should do a remix where the chorus pops up every once in a while in the stanza breaks, but other than that it's instrumental. Mixing moves won't solve this though, I think. Sorry to be blunt - I could be wrong. I get that you'e doing something experimental, but I don't follow.

• Members

Ha, actually Lee has a ton of good ideas on this. You're operating on a higher level than I, though.

I kid. You (and Lee) are both right - there needs to be a lot less of the backing track and a lot more of me. I just have to figure out a way to be comfortable with that reality.

Archived