New song written today - anything needed?

stickboymusic

• Members

Hello

Had a day off work today so wrote a new full song (at last!!)

It may be a bit vague...I'm sure people will say lots of changes needed and of course i willing to look at that.

Its just a relief for me as its been 5 months since i've recorded a full song!!

Song link

https://soundcloud.com/stickboy/leave-me-to-myself-a-new-song

Lyrics

There was a secrecy pact on the night of the dance

But it all went up in flames

There were several people taking a stance

Just trying to ruin the game

So I left in a hurry through the back alley

Towards the cinema light

In the safety of silence...away from the violence

Something still didn't feel right

Oh leave me to myself won't you

Just leave me to myself

Oh leave me to myself

Leave me

I don't need anybody else

Five hours later stood at the station

The first sign of morning sun

I wont leave no trace...no farewell to this place

More good riddance, to hell, be gone

For I am just a lonesome cowboy leaving on a train

To some far out place i've not been to before

Probably won't go back to again

Oh leave me to myself wont you

Just leave me to myself

Oh leave me to myself

Leave me

I don't need anybody else

• Members

I like the song... real violin? It sounds real. But it also sticks out. I think it needs a good dose of trimming... it's distracting as is.

The piano entry in the chorus is really nice. Very tasteful. As well as that slide guitar. Beautiful.

• Moderators

Very cool! I love the lyric and story. I think some phrasing with al-LEY and cinema could be made a little cooler. Easy fix. I'm sure the lyric guys will have lots of great stuff to say but my immediate suggestion is to try and bring a little life to the verse melody. Just a note here and there that isn't a chord tone. To stretch the simple folk form just a little to make those lyrics in the verse pop out at you.

The chorus is there. The verse just needs a little added melodic adventure (very little) and some tightening of the phrasing on the words mentioned and possibly others.

Cool tune. So, what happened at the dance?

• Members
Very cool! I love the lyric and story. I think some phrasing with al-LEY and cinema could be made a little cooler. Easy fix. I'm sure the lyric guys will have lots of great stuff to say but my immediate suggestion is to try and bring a little life to the verse melody. Just a note here and there that isn't a chord tone. To stretch the simple folk form just a little to make those lyrics in the verse pop out at you.

The chorus is there. The verse just needs a little added melodic adventure (very little) and some tightening of the phrasing on the words mentioned and possibly others.

Cool tune. So, what happened at the dance?

Agreed. I love the chorus. The verses are still a bit unformed.

Funny, I didn't mind the awkwardness on "alley." I don't know why. Normally I'd jump on that!

Love the fade out!

• Members

That line stuck out for me......struck me as a bit......cliche.

mixwise....those toms were bothering me (listening with my good headphones).

I was listening for some harmonies on that last chorus.

Now I am just listening through to your other tunes as they keep rolling. Good to hear your voice again. Oh...Right The Wrong is playing now.....very nice.

• Moderators

The cowboy works for me because...irony? Stick does not strike me as the cowboy type, This feels pretty clear. I loved the line in a Walter Mitty way, Stick appears more a lover than a fighter. This is apparent within seconds of hearing his tunes for the first time. Hence... Irony.

• Members

Love this, love the violin. Reminds me a lot of Range Life by Pavement, nice little ramshackle vibe.

"Taking a stance" feels forced, I'd rather you did an internal rhyme than forcing an ABAB rhyme.

Maybe me, I wish the chorus - esp the first lines - was slightly, um, hookier. It flows nicely, but it doesn't lodge in my head the way I think it should, feels like it should more punctuated in some way. I could be alone on this,

Otherwise wonderful.

• Members

Nice song. A few suggestions regarding the lyrics...

There was a secrecy pact on the night of the dance

change to

We made a secrecy pact...

There were several people taking a stance

change to

Several people were taking a stance...

Like a few other people mentioned, "lonesome cowboy" is a bit trite -- especially since it's not a country song.

Maybe change to

I'm just a lonely boy...

Otherwise, good job!

• 1 month later...
  • Members
I really dig the song... I really do. I'm still not sure about the violin though. It just doesn't feel necessary. smiley-sad

I have had many mixed feedback on the violin

some say "wow i LOVE the violin"

Others say "it's in the way"

I dunno..... when I take it out I really miss it.

• Members

I have had many mixed feedback on the violin

some say "wow i LOVE the violin"

Others say "it's in the way"

I dunno..... when I take it out I really miss it.

That's always the way. :) If you like it... that's what's most important.

• Members

Hard to criticize any of Sticks work but this appears/sounds a little cluttered...don't know if its the violin or what...yeah, the violin. Over powers the vocals and the song in general....sorry. Your melodic sense is so strong that it leaves this one a little uninspired. You are a tough act to follow...I am not offering much in the way of help, I apologize.

• Members

I think the use of the violin is fine and appropriate in this song, but there's something not working properly. But I'm not sure what it is.

My hunch is that a skilled fiddle player would provide carefully placed fills and accompaniment to the vocal, but in a better way than has been recorded thus far.

There is also a couple of notes that the violin plays that sound wrong in conjunction with the vocal melody.

They are probably notes in the scale, but the two melodies are not quite right together.

• Members

Try to take the violin out. I also think it overpowers a little. Just give it a shot and see what's the feedback. Of course you'll miss them because that's how you made the song, but for the neutral listener it might work without them.

Archived